Change font size   Print view

midi card for old motherboard

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

midi card for old motherboard

Postby Guido » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi all,

Well some things amiss on my 15 yr old d8b. Out of nowhere the midi in doesn't work. Out is fine. Everything is the same except the CPU had tilted a bit...its on the floor behind the board on some real thick Styrofoam. I guess 15 yes is too long for that...but other than that nothing changed since the last time I used the hui layer.
I've tried swapping cables, ports...no go.
Has anyone had just the midi in go belly up?
And, if I need a new midi card, can I use the one they sell on eBay with the Sony 9 pin work my old motherboard..the one with the pentium?

Thanks,

Guido

EDIT. Sorry for the dbl post....I must have hit back on my tablet..sorry. Mods could you plz remove it?
Guido

Re: midi card for old motherboard

Postby Guido » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi,

I saw a post from a user that had the exact same prob, mackdaddie responded saying it was a bios issue. Thought I was golden...alas USB was disabled in bios.

Does anyone know if the old d8b motherboard can use the midi card that has the Sony 9 pin on it?
Guido

Postby Guido » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi,

I have Midi out and no Midi in. Please ,please does anyone know if the the Sony 9 pin Midi card that they sell on ebay will work on the original D8b motherboard? I spent along time to get my hui mode to talk MCU and now i cant use it . HELP?
Guido

Postby FrankH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:00 am

I see you've done all the usual troubleshooting. I have to ask, though....what kind of MIDI connector is attached to the back of your CPU? Is it the original molded dual 5 pin DIN connector or something else? I ask because if it's one of those home made or commercial break-out cables, it could be the wiring...and worth checking for continuity on the MIDI In side.

Can't help you with the Sony 9 PIN card question. Sorry.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Klinux » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:00 am

I came across this browsing another issue I have but undoubtedly your issue is the same issue I had after I bought my D8B. The issue is within the Bios. Go into PCI config and make sure that IRQ10 is set to ISA and not auto detect. I had exactly the same issue midi out worked but no input. The culprit is an incorrect bios setting on IRQ10. If this is the case and it happened suddenly it may be a sign the battery on the mboard needs replacing as its losing settings.
Klinux

Postby Guido » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi,
Thank you both for your answers.

@FrankH..yes Its the plastic orig connector.

@klinnux.. I saw a previous post about bios...and i thought..this has got to be it! I could have sworn when i checked it was correct, but im going to chk again.

Thanks guys
Guido

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:32 am

If the BIOS is good try reloading the software.

I assume you un-plugged and re-plugged all things MIDI? Both ends! Dirt and dust bunnies do find a way to make our lives interesting!

Post back.

Cheers from Canada
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Guido » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi,
Well, an update.
I called kind of loud and they were help full, but they say the Sony 9 pin card won't work on the 166mhz motherboards.

I have now reset the card, changed slots...no joy.

I have noticed that the date and time are always reset on the d8b, so I assume I need a new battery.
My bios settings for irq10 stay correct tho.....does anyone know if a low battery would produce no midi in but midi out OK?
Where my CPU is located,its super difficult to get in the CPU case...I can barely walk today from resetting the card:-) ..so I don't look forward to changing the battery.

BTW...my midi card is an Opcode model...not a midi man...I bought the board new and have never changed it. This d8b had V2 when I bought it.
I'm not an tech, so is there a cheap way I can check the continuity or whatever of the little white db25 to midi connector?
Thanks,
Guido

Edit..also re software reinstall...I'm running 5.1 and I think I have the disks and the numbers somewhere...am I looking at a possible big problem if I try and reinstall?
Guido

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:17 am

Hey Guido:

On your last Q in your post.... after you do the install of 5.1 (if you don't have the disk there is a down load in the "Maintenance" section that has the 5.1 version in it. Once you install there is a free 5.1 authorisation that was developed by one of the forum members. There is a down load of a the file that needs to be replaced along with autho codes for 5.1 and all the plugins'.. very cool.

The battery is located on the mother board and again the maintenance section there is the whole story about replacing it, I change my batteries very year when I change my smoke detector batteries, Helps to keep things working. So to achieve this I don't berry my CPU's (2 of them) too deep.

The MIDI card is another[url][/url] issue that I am too familiar with. I do know that the card is very specific and there is a dual card out there that runs MIDI and has a Sony 9 pin as well. The Sony is used for a remote control that uses RS232 as it's protocol.

hope that helps
bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Guido » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 am

Hi,
Thanks Bruce.
Yes..the CPU location choice back in 2000 wasn't a good one:-)
I saw what munk and others have accomplished..truly amazing!

Re the Sony/midi card...there is a guy on eBay who sells them and today got back to me per compatibility w old MB. He said yes. Funny, yesterday I called Mackie and the guy was nice and checked for me and said it was not compatable.
Anyway, I replied to the eBay guy...sorry for long story...and told him that. He said he did Mackie support for years...named the old motherboard and told me how many slots. Can you tell me if both the old mb midi card and the newer Sony card are both isa cards?

Now if if your still here..in looking for a midi card on Craig's list I found a listing for a working d8b with a pro box for $600. The owner said there is nothing wrong w board and that he doesn't use it and that I could see it in operation. Its about a half an hour from me.
What do you think?
I don't have spare money:-) but isn't that price a bit low? Parts?
Thanks for reading this and for the advice..I really appreciate it.

Guido
Guido

Next

Return to d8b Forum