Change font size   Print view

power supply ???

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

power supply ???

Postby Carlo » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:08 pm

Dear Friends,

Got a fresh problem. While mixing i normally switch banks (e.g from tape to effects) and at the time ive done that the d8b hanged with the meter lights stuck. Its as if the system went out of sync....similar symptom of the ribbon cable problem. However it is not. This happens every time i switch banks ONLY (tape/mic/effect banks). I thought that there is something with the power supply since switching back and forth might need different consumption of energy given that the faders will be set completely different from each other on different banks.

I swapped the power supply/cpu unit of my second d8b and connected it to the first d8b which i had the problem with (only the cpu was swapped). The problem couldn't be replicated. Therefore by swapping CPU's the problem disappeared. Well now im suspecting in the power supply or caps on the small and/ or big board of the power supply.

What shall i look for? Shall i replace the caps on these boards? Is it possible that the Power supply is broken?

Any help?

Thanks loads

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: power supply ???

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:55 am

Hey Carlo;

I have no experience with this fault, but I suggest re-loading the software on the faulty CPU as that is also a common element.

You could, since you have a second CPU and console, I assume, try the second console with the faulty CPU and see if the fault turns up on that console.

To further help with "problem solving", when the meters stuck, was there any sound associated with this? Hum or buzz or digital distortion?

Just some thoughts.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:20 am

Hi Bruce,

Yes i will do the swap and try it on the other desk too. In reply to your question, No there was no sound while the problem was encountered.

Will look into the software installation too.

Cheers mate.
Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Bruce,

As you suggested to me, Ive checked the second console with the 'faulty CPU' and the problem didnt turn up.....

So now i have a mixture of things. My first d8b works perfectly with the CPU of the second console, My second console works perfectly with the 'faulty' CPU.... although both these issues are positive they are still confusing....

I will recheck the first d8b with the original 'faulty' CPU now...
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:35 am

Hey Carlo;

There are many,many things that can make things not work in the world of audio. Especially when those things are computers.

It is possible it is a lose connection, or a "funky" ground or, or or.... and on and on. Sometimes we never find the answer.

As long as we document what we did as closely as we can so we know what we did in case we need to do it again. Or "loop-see-loop" as a friend of mine would say.

Hopefully whatever you did has solved your troubles!

Cheer
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:32 am

Yep I agree. Cheers Bruce
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum