Change font size   Print view

Old d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Old d8b

Postby jmrd88 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:08 pm

[img]Hello all,

Sorry if all of this is available elsewhere on this forum, i've had a good search but need more in-depth help…..

Situation is, I've been working in a college just over 12 months and left sitting in a corner was an old d8b, from what I understand it was mothballed about 4 years ago and has literally been lying around since, the current tutor believes it needs a software update (presumably to 5.1) and that apparently it did have some errors when it was last used….?!

I've dusted it off and plugged it all in, it boots but gives me a system 43 error message and on the external monitor states a cmos checksum error (I presume this is a bios battery replace issue?)

Also despite plugging and replugging I cannot make the keyboard and mouse work at all…..

What I ideally need is someone to cast an eye over this and see if there's any way to make it work? If there isn't I'll know to look into getting rid of it as it takes up a lot of space that we don't have.

I've added some images to show what we actually have

Sorry again for the noob post!

Cheers! :)
Attachments
IMG_4103.jpeg
IMG_4103.jpeg (Array KiB) Viewed 1136 times
IMG_4102.jpeg
IMG_4102.jpeg (Array KiB) Viewed 1136 times
IMG_4101.jpeg
IMG_4101.jpeg (Array KiB) Viewed 1136 times
IMG_4099.jpeg
IMG_4099.jpeg (Array KiB) Viewed 1136 times
IMG_4100.jpeg
IMG_4100.jpeg (Array KiB) Viewed 1136 times
jmrd88

Re: Old d8b

Postby kderector » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Hello,

First off, it is a great mixing board to work with even though it is dated. I am going to give this a stab.

So, first off, I have never seen anyone use a USB keyboard with the D8B. If you have a PS2 style keyboard, you might want to give that a shot.

Obviously, unless you can get the keyboard to work, you will not be able to get in to the BIOS to fix the CHECKSUM error. Here is the web page that will help you find the correct BIOS settings once you get the keyboard to work.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post1

Lastly, if the D8b is not running 5.1. It most likely never will. The 5.1 update required a serial number specific to the console. The computer that provided these serial numbers at Mackie is no longer in service, and truthfully, as many will say on the this board, it has been supported in some ways way past its time. I can tell you this though. If you are not sure if it has the 5.1 serial number or the serial numbers for the plugins / effects. Mackie has been good enough to provide those serial numbers if you email their support team.

So, see if you can locate a PS2 style keyboard. That might just be the reason you cannot get in to the BIOS.

Best of luck to you!!

Ken
kderector

Postby jmrd88 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Ok excellent thanks, the college have just (within the last month!) ditched the last of the ps/2 keyboards, which is pretty bad timing for me! I have seen on forums people using adaptors but i'll see if i can find an older keyboard lying around and take it from there.

Cheers
jmrd88

Postby Big Poppa Robb » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Once you get a keyboard, hitting F1 might get you past the CMOS error. Good Luck!
Big Poppa Robb

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:09 am

Hey jmrf88;

Welcome the the d8b forum!

It appears you have a few issue to work through with your d8b but the good news they can be worked through!

Error 43 is a communication error. This is usually remedied by replacing the battery, resetting the CMOS and cleaning every connector inside the console with a good quality cleaner. This will take some time but usually gets rid of the error. Work slowly and do one connector at a time. I have sprayed then I reset the connecotr a few times before moving on to the next one. There are a lot of connectors in there, so take you time.

Changing the CMOS requires having the keyboard working, as pointed out Big Poppa Robb. If you can find the old style 5 pin DIN type keyboard you may have better luck. USB keyboards do work but not all.

The check sum issue is new to me but may be a result of a weak or flakey battery.

OS 5.1 is a dead issue. No new licences are being offered. Once you get the console up and running you will know if you have 5.1 running , or not. If 5.1 is there and asked for the Un-lock code, this is good news. Mackie (now owned by Loud Technologies) seems to be able to provide you with the Un-code. They provided it for me! You just need to give them the "ESN" (Electronic Serial Number) from the set-up page once the console is working. You will need a monitor and mouse to get the ESN as well.

Post back with how you are doing! There are lots of people here who can help.

Good luck and welcome to the d8b world!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jmrd88 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Sorry for the delay in updates but I only have a little time here and there to tinker! So basically I sourced an old style keyboard and mouse, plugged in to then be able to access the bios menu etc. Checked through all the settings and made a few tweaks based on the post by kderector, and now we're all up and running! Far easier than I imagined!

Thanks for the help!
jmrd88

Return to d8b Forum