Change font size   Print view

Linking 2 x hdr to one D8B, how ?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Linking 2 x hdr to one D8B, how ?

Postby funk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Hello All,
I am finding i am running out of tracks on the HDR and having to use spaces on existing tracks to fit other things in, so
I have just got another HDR with 3 AIO8 cards.
my existing Hdr has 3 OPT8 cards
And my D8B has 3 OPT8 cards,

Just checking the user guide i see i can take out one of the AIO cards from the new Hdr and fit it into the ALT slot on the D8B
giving me another 8 chanels.

is there any way i can use the other 8 ( or even 16 if i get another I/O card for the one i took) chanels into the D8B
or am i going to have to send the other 16 AIO8 channs fronm the new HDR to another mixer and use that to mix then maybe mix the two D8B and the now analog mixer O/P together some how ??

Or some how send the Analog mixed 16 chans back into the D8B as a stereo sig some how to mix in with the 32 i now have on the D8B.

Anyone know the best way to do this ??

My thoughts are i could record the brass section on the new HDR or drums and have them sent back to the D8B as a sort of mixed sub group

Cheers again
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Re: Linking 2 x hdr to one D8B, how ?

Postby Crash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:51 pm

I did this once, I used the digital side of the d8b for the normal returns as you normally would and had the 2nd HDR come in on the mic/line (1-24) side of the consoile via analog cards and 1/4 inch breakout cables. Worked really well in that case.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi Crash thanks once again, i did think of doing it that way but when i have a track running from the recorder on say chan 25 ( tape chan 1) when i use an input into chan 1 ( input1) both faders are effected... ie
when i use say a bass in input 1 the loudness coming out of the main mix is also dependent on the fader position of tape bank 1 fader ( 25)
or have i got some thing set wrong
al have another look at that.

Back later........
funk

Postby Crash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:23 pm

I did this in a mix situation, if that clarifies it. I am not completely following what you are saying up above. If I were going to record, I would only record to one machine, then duplicate the projects HDs so they are the same on both machines and pull over what you need for each machine in the playlist to get you to 48 tracks, if that makes any sense.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:10 am

... back now.
just checked
Sorry i was getting confused.
what i was hearing was this....

If i have something playing on the hdr recorder coming in on track 25 ( 1st track of fader bank 2) and set the level half way
then if i sing into mic connected to track 1 input ( fader bank 1) ( i always have a vocal mic pre amp set up on 1 so 1 is always vocals) up to here its all ok but when i press record enable it brings into play the fader on track 25, as i was not thinking it would be monitoring throught the recorder to track 25 so you hear the vocal mic twice, so thats what i was hearing when trying to record bits in to the spaces of existing tracks,
so .....scrap all that,
So...yes i can connect the other 16 inputs from the 2nd hdr to the inputs and still have all the eq and comp and gates as well ......great
just need some D subs now
cheers crash
funk

Return to d8b Forum