Change font size   Print view

How to move HDR Projects over to Pro tools?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

How to move HDR Projects over to Pro tools?

Postby dyno » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:54 am

I'm looking at finally crossing over the river from my D8B HDR24/96 to Pro tools/Universal Audio Apollo Quad 8 system in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to re-mix some of my old Mackie projects with Protools 12 and was wondering how easy it is to import the files. I built a firewire dock a few years ago that I rarely used. Would that be the best way to import them? Thanks.
dyno

Re: How to move HDR Projects over to Pro tools?

Postby Old School » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:49 am

Hi,
I don't use pro-tools but the easiest way I've found to move these files around is to Render the tracks you want to mix and put the project on the external drive. Take out the drive and use an IDE to USB connector and your computer will recognize them as wav files which you can drop and drag. Rendering makes time alignment simple. I hope this helps.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby dyno » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:57 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Can you help me with the rendering process on the HDR? I fiddled with it tonight, just rendered a single track for an example. I rendered the file from the beginning, grabbed it out of the region list and dragged it into an empty track. Kind of tedious. Is there an easier way to do the whole project? do i have to rename the tracks before importing them to Protools?

Thanks brother!

Dyno
dyno

Postby Old School » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:57 am

Hi,
To render your tracks, simply highlight them by holding down the left click on your mouse and dragging it across the track you want to render. You don't have to grab anything from the regions list. For multiple tracks, just hold down "control" on your keyboard and click on the additional tracks you want to render. The rendered tracks will then appear in your regions list as, for example, trk 1 rendered, unless you rename it before rendering. You don't need to drop these rendered tracks back onto an empty track in order to export them. When you take the external drive out and hook up the hard drive to your computer via ide to usb, just open the project file and you will be able to see those rendered tracks an drop an drag them into your computer. It helps to keep things aligned if you enable snapping to cues and set a cue at the start point of the song and snap all your highlighted selections to that cue, then after editing in your daw. rename the tracks (I just add an "e" to the trk name so I'll know its been edited) and drag them back into the external drive, plug the drive back into your HDR and you'll be able to snap them all back in to the same cue point and everything will be in time.

Hope this helps,
Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:02 am

Almost forgot, when you open the project on your HDR after doing this you will have to "import" the new edited tracks.
Make sure you have " all" selected under file type instead of "prj". When you open the project select "import audio files" on the drop down menu, then browse for the files and you should be able to see them. Then select the files and click import.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum