Change font size   Print view

questions on word clock

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

questions on word clock

Postby arjepsen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Hey.
I'm in the process of buying a new audio interface for my pc.
I want to use the interfaces' preamps and converters, and then "ADAT" the digital signal to my d8b, then to my HDR through ADAT, back to the d8b, and finally back to my interface which my monitors will be connected to.
(partly because I felt I got too much noise by using the d8b's own converters).
Anyway, I got an apogee word clock card in the d8b, so it should work fine with the HDR.

However, as I mentioned, I still haven't decided on which audio interface to get. Been looking a bit at the RME UCX, but are also looking at some of the newer interfaces by MOTU - particularly the "ultralite AVB".
However, that interface doesn't have any BNC word clock in.... but if I understand correctly, it's also possible to sync over the lightpipe itself?

So what I'm wondering about is - is it a workable setup to have the HDR syncing through BNC to the apogee card, and having the audio interface syncing over the lightpipe??? (at the same time.,..??)

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: questions on word clock

Postby goonkalonkyn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:51 am

you take a look at the rme hammerfall?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdsp_9652.php

with that type of clock loop ur gonna need a sync master
goonkalonkyn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: questions on word clock

Postby Crash » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Pulled from the database:

SPDIF, AES and Lightpipe digital audio all have word clock signals embedded with the audio. Generally, a dedicated BNC clock connection is superior and more reliable.

Reconnect your digital devices to the d8b one at a time to isolate a conflicting device.

Be sure that all devices are set to the same sample rate (44.1 or 48 kHz), and are properly terminated (maybe a setting in hardware or software, fixed or automatic). The device should normally be terminated unless it is not the last receiving device in the clock chain.

Be sure that only one device is set as "master" (set to run on and output it's own internal clock). All the others should be set to sync to incoming word clock if connected by BNC, and to digital audio if receiving via AES, SPDIF or Lightpipe.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum