Change font size   Print view

Replacing my d8b - recommendations?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Replacing my d8b - recommendations?

Postby Varuna » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09 am

Hello gents,
I've been limping along with my d8b for the last few years, occasionally taking it apart and spraying all the ribbon connectors, etc. I knew its days were numbered. I'm going to be moving my studio in the next few months and I'd like to take the opportunity to replace the very aging d8b with something current that offers all the things I love about the d8b, which include:

24 bit lightpipe connection to my HDR 2496 (I do not plan to replace that just yet)
Good sounding built-in library of compression, eq, delay, reverb, de-ess, etc.
Moving faders
Mix automation (can be PC hosted, but must be integrated like Mackie's is)
Ability to display the unit's video on as big of a monitor as I want

In my search, I came up with 2 contenders, each of which has a big miss in the requirements department. I like the Behringer X32, but it lacks any automation software, and video output, and the Presonus StudioLive doesn't have moving faders.

I'd like to ask the assembled wisdom here if I'm missing anything out in the market that would fit the bill. I'm kind of hoping Presonus or Behringer will announce some new kit at the NAMM show this month that will solve this.

Thanks for your ideas!
Roy
Varuna

Re: Replacing my d8b - recommendations?

Postby the boss » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Behringer....? No.
Yamaha 01v96 or 02v96.
Midas...: of some kind.

IF Behringer you'll get what you pay for in quality, that's my opinion.
the boss

Postby Varuna » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 pm

I checked out the Yamaha 02R96 - it does tick all of the boxes, thanks for your input. The one thing that worries me about the Yamaha is the PC software was last updated 4 years ago, so it might have problems with Windows 8 or 10.

There is a Midas board that is essentially the X32 with Midas packaging, but as far as I can tell, it also lacks automation. I'm totally loving the Mackie's automation editing capabilities, and I don't want to lose that with this upgrade.

Thanks again!
Roy
Varuna

Postby Crash » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Keeping the HDR in the picture really hamstrings your choices. I know the day is coming when I am going to have to make a move as well and I don't look forward to it either. I like mixing and recording...not worrying about what is gonna happen on my next OS update. The Raven MTXII really looks interesting to me but it also terrifies me to enter the full on computer realm of recording. I know the HDR is essentially a computer as is the d8b in many ways but I cringe at the thought of making the move.... I'll be interested to see where you land.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hyaena » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:40 am

I moved to the DM2000, as I could acquire a used one that only needed some tech´s inspectation regarding the Master DigIn/Out. The automation is very similar to what I knew from the d8b. And I love the 6 slots with endless count of connections to the outside world - as I have some analogue gear to connect. The only thing I miss a lot is the big fat screen of the d8b.
About the PC software, you are talking about Studio Manager, to take control over the setup from outside the console ?
Why not have a laptop running on an old system like XP or Win7 ? You don´t need a connection to the net, so don´t worry about a system that´s no longer supported (sounds familiar ?). It works.

Just my 2 cents.
Manfred.
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hyaena » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:44 am

And let me add one more thing:
In Yamaha there is no such fore as still is for the d8b !
Yamahy users seem to be a crowd of their own.

I miss you, folks !
Manfred.
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:32 am

If I ever have to replace my D8B with something else....this would be it, hands down.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/gs-r24/
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:15 pm

FrankH wrote:If I ever have to replace my D8B with something else....this would be it, hands down.

Agree, Frank. 'twould see me out.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:28 pm

FrankH wrote:If I ever have to replace my D8B with something else....this would be it, hands down.

I completely forgot about that little beast...
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:20 am

Yep, it's got just about everything you could need in a modern DAW-centric studio...particularly all the lovely little I/O routing schemes available. The more I looked into this the more I appreciated how A&H covered the bases with this thing.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum