Change font size   Print view

Replacing my d8b - recommendations?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Replacing my d8b - recommendations?

Postby Crash » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Indeed. It looks like someone on Gearslutz scored one back in Spetember for $3K and change off of Amazon which is stupid cheap. My only quibble so far is the aux sends... It is hard to go from 12 pre or post to 6, two fixed pre, two fixed post. I am sure I could live with it but. I'll have to keep this in mind for when the time comes.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:41 pm

FrankH wrote:If I ever have to replace my D8B with something else....this would be it, hands down.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/gs-r24/

Now you're talking ;)
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:05 pm

It is hard to go from 12 pre or post to 6, two fixed pre, two fixed post.
If I'm not mistaken, you can break inside and re-jumper the sends. It looks like you can re-jumper 1&2 and 5&6.

In any event, initially, the sends on the board are numerous enough to serve tracking, in that there are enough to feed junk to headphone mixes, keeping musicians and vocalists happy. Because the board can re-route a DAW through it for mixing, the board's send count sort becomes irrelevant because of what is available within the DAW itself in terms of buss-able send/return paths and individual track insert counts.

But there is something about their send scheme that I did find that fell short: no pan for 5&6. Kinda miss that convenience....but it's not a deal breaker.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

FrankH wrote:
It is hard to go from 12 pre or post to 6, two fixed pre, two fixed post.
If I'm not mistaken, you can break inside and re-jumper the sends. It looks like you can re-jumper 1&2 and 5&6.

I hadn't seen that info. yet. If this is the case, then that helps quite a bit for me in the hybrid type setup I run. For now, I will keep pounding on my d8b rig.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Olietyven » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:43 am

Hi. I switch mine to a set of two cascaded Tascam DM 3200, but one DM4800 will do the job. The dm4800 is discontinued, but there is plenty of spareparts still available. The Tascam dm's has a great automation, nice preamps, build in effects and dynamics, and a remote switch that will turn it into a DAW controller. You can get several option cards, like adat, aes/ebu, analog, firewire, surround, etc. Though it has some years one the back, it is still a great mixer. The Tascamforums.com is like the mackie forum a great place, with lot of dedicated people, and you will find beta drivers and a lot of stuff that is not available at the official webside. You can find these mixers at a good price on eBay.
Olietyven

Previous

Return to d8b Forum