Change font size   Print view

d8b fader issues

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b fader issues

Postby TheJetTek » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:35 pm

My d8b has started having an issue where, upon booting, the faders are "stuck" at the bottom. Moving them from bottom to top and back a couple times "unlocks" them and they work normally. But if a fader receives any automation moves or if I drag the onscreen fader at all, the fader snaps back to the bottom and has to be "unlocked" again by moving bottom to top a couple times. At first it was just the first 8 channels doing this, now it's all of them. This happens whether in "normal" use or when using the ProBox. Same behaviour is both cases...

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
TheJetTek

Re: d8b fader issues

Postby munkustrap » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:22 am

For me there are only two possible issues:

1.) 12V supply issue --> Faders will gow down and stuck there. In this case you should also have Problems with your VPots. Are These working?.

2.) DACs on Faderboards are gone (dont ask me why). AD8803 (U908) 8 channel boards and AD8804 (U914).

I got 3 Faderboards for repair a few moths again with the same issue and on all 3 boards this component was broken. replaced it and it worked.
munkustrap

Postby TheJetTek » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:22 pm

The V-Pots are really sketchy sometimes. What usually happens is that I have to re boot the unit about 3-4 times before the probox firmware will load up properly and the v-pots stop going crazy. But then the faders are still having that same issue. If it is the 12V supply, how do I got about checking that? Is this something in the power supply on inside the console??
TheJetTek

Postby munkustrap » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:34 pm

That sounds as a 12 v issue.
Maybe grounding between mgnd and dgnd is bad.
How are your skills on electronics?

You can check my manualnhow to build in a powersupply into console. There is a step soldering a gnd bridge
On the power connector board. This you can try to improve the gnd.
I can imagine that this solves your problems.

By the way. This issue generates multiple commands per seconds on the communication bus. Therefore the brain board
Gets stuck and cannot communicate. This is the reason why yyou need to boot several times.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards

Munk
munkustrap

Postby TheJetTek » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:36 pm

If this is the case, is it likely that this has caused damage to any other console components?
TheJetTek

Postby TheJetTek » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Ok, soldered the ground connection as shown in your power supply manual. No change in the issues. Any other ideas? One quite knowledgable person suggested the following:
"You may have a problem with the +/-16V from the CPU that is damaging the comparitor circuits on the fader cards."

Anyone with suggestions on how to test/fix such an issue??
TheJetTek

Postby Crash » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:40 pm

You could measure the pins number 5 and 16 of the big ass connector and see if you have +/-16volts.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Arslan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm

If only one or two faders are not moving you could replace a single fader but if the whole board is not working you need to but a new one.
Arslan

Return to d8b Forum