Change font size   Print view

5.1 d8b update

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: 5.1 d8b update

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:46 pm

pilotwebley wrote:just visited a friend who has the same desk, well his first power supply was faulty, so he bought another one which had the 5.1 on it and its working perfectly well.
i was only there last night. so now I'm hoping to find some one who is selling just the power supply module,

Get the old hard drive from the original cpu unit to get your unlock code(s) or you're right back where you started...

When the desk authorizes it writes the code(s) - os & plugin - to the hard disk; the brain board in the desk has firmware (serial #) making it unique among all pieces of hardware across the known universe. Therefore, if you're cpu goes tits up, you aren't just gonna cable another one up to the desk and call it a day... that's just not gonna happen - UNLESS you've got your code(s) written down and accessible. On the other hand, should you have access to your codes (written them down somewhere!) and the original brain board (hardware/firmware), you can be safely assured you can get ANY cpu and/or desk (w/ a brain boards swap) back to it's original, functional state/status. Does that make sense? :geek:

Bottom line :
Brain Board (authorized - codes generated from firmware serial #)
Unlock Code (operating system / plugin)

That hardware (board), firmware (ROM serial #) and software (unlock code/5.1 os) combination is your personal ticket to the Mackie v5.1 World... \m/ :ugeek: ,,,

As always, you knew it was coming... so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pilotwebley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:50 pm

can i ask where will i be able to access those details.and how do i do it.
pilotwebley

Postby pilotwebley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:52 pm

i just wish i had known from the start what complications id be having in finding the updates along with the unlock code. id have gotten a different desk
pilotwebley

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:14 pm

pilotwebley wrote:i just wish i had known from the start what complications id be having in finding the updates along with the unlock code. id have gotten a different desk

If you've got the hard drive and/or codes, in reality it's not that difficult at all... if the desk is running, which in this case it isn't, you'd just setup and run the ftp server on the cpu box and access it over the wire. But that's not what's happening here, so I won't spend any further cpu cycles defining that process. On the other hand...

Get this or something similar (fairly inexpensive)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9083BK9024&cm_re=usb_adapter-_-9SIA9083BK9024-_-Product

Hook the hard disk with your mackie os on it, and then connect it to another computer. You'll be able to mount and access the disk just like it was a backup drive or some other disk resource. Bottom line here, you'll be able to find the os and/or plugin files that have your code(s) in plain text. I don't remember the exact file name(s) off-hand, but if you can get this far I'm sure me or someone else lurking around here will be able to provide the input to get you across the finish line...

If you've purchased this desk to be on the cutting edge of the recording engineering technology curve, yeah... then maybe a 'bad purchase decision' ...if that's not the case, be patient... this is an uber-powerful (albeit officially unsupported), flexible platform to create some really nice recorded audio experiences... just MHO... :geek:

Again... you knew it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pilotwebley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:18 pm

thanks for ur help,ill keep u up to date when i decide to try that suggestion
pilotwebley

Postby pilotwebley » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:36 am

drat. i can't believe I'm so unlucky.
i just bought a d8b and watched it working at the guys house for approx 30 mins,
watched it been put through its paces
now I've taken it home connected it up.
its asking for authorisation code.
he had it from some one a few years ago so he docent know the code, what can i do.
pilotwebley

Postby Phil.c » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 am

I wish I had some good news for you but you might have to revert to V 3.0

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pilotwebley » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 am

noo are u serious
pilotwebley

Postby Phil.c » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 am

Well...it would be interesting to quite a few if you find a way around this without the code!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum