Change font size   Print view

About To Purchase A Used D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

About To Purchase A Used D8B

Postby Trent_Kay » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Thankfully I found this forum!

I have recently come across a used D8B that I'm debating on purchasing. I know it's outdated, but they seem to be extremely cool and I've been recording some time just not with anything super fancy. I'm not sure what all this is supposed to come with, what exactly is all needed as a minimum to start recording with it, and if I will need anything extra once I obtain it. I can tell you, reading through this forum, reading reviews, and watching tutorials has me both excited and nervous. More nervous because it's no longer in production and it seems to have a lot of issues, but then again nothing is perfect when it comes to electronics. I'm just looking for as much feedback as possible about this device and all is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Trent
Trent_Kay

Re: About To Purchase A Used D8B

Postby goonkalonkyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:58 pm

if ur in the US, you might want to consider something more convincing.

https://youtu.be/2YOgxzUx2Bo
goonkalonkyn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:47 pm

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html#Post2

Everything you want to know about buying a used d8b.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Trent_Kay » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks. After I posted this I found that site! Is there a certain type of software program that I will need on my PC in addition to having the D8B? The program I have used and have been using is Acid 5.0, I know that probably sounds ridiculous. Long story short I guess I am needing to know everything that I will absolutely need (just for starting up) along with D8B.
Trent_Kay

Postby Crash » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 pm

I don't know what your PC needs to see for getting audio in and out of it but you have a few choices on the d8b side with Analog, Adat optical, TDIF, AES/EBU...There are more interfaces than I can begin to describe. Make sure you have an Apogee clock card in the d8b so you can clock to what ever you are recording with. The console did not ship with one stock which was a stupid move on Mackie's part. There is a clock card in the console but the stock card is fairly worthless unless you are running an analog recorder and don't plan on hooking up any other digital toys.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Trent_Kay » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 am

Well basically I've been recording like a neanderthal for the past 6yrs and this is going to be my first "real" set up haha. I went to check out everything today and they showed me that everything was updated with all the latest things, we turned it on and went through a few things and messed around with it, and the best part of this situation is the store that's selling it has it on consignment with the individual who's selling it. Apparently they've had it for a really long time and the only other offer presented was for 500 out the door. So I traded a strat as a down payment to keep it, so I may get this entire set up for 350.00 if I'm lucky. The only thing I'm really confused about (and this may sound stupid) is how do I get my sessions onto a disk? I've been used to using my Acid program and burning tracks at once or setting up a disk at once to burn. I'm thinking, "Shit. Once I get a full track done, how do I get it off d8b?" LOL I started thinking USB from d8b to my PC, but I'm unsure if/what I will need for software.
Trent_Kay

Postby Crash » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:03 pm

The d8b doesn't store audio, it is strictly a digital mixer. The floppy drive and internal hard drive are for storing mix files but no audio. You will still need to record to an outside multitrack device. My rig is a d8b for the console and an HDR 24/96 for the multitrack. I mix down to an old ALesis Masterlink for the stereo masters. Think of it like any old studio from the 70's and 80's except it is all digital.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Trent_Kay » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm

Alright. Can you give me a break down of the process you use? I guess, from start to finish how do you get a finished song on a CD (not too in depth though, I'm not concerned with the way you mix things or whatever) lol. I guess I was misled by reading a lot of what I did and took too much in not realizing there was a shitload more to the d8b. How are these files stored? ie; PDF, .wav, MP3? I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need in order to start working when I get this and I'm apparently missing a boatload of info that either I'm overlooking, or just not comprehending. "This Begins here, which hooks to this, then transfers to this and walla!" or something along those lines. I have a lot more learning to do than I had anticipated, but I am all for it. I'm familiar with mixing and recording, but not from the 70's. Not a clue.
Trent_Kay

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:55 pm

I think your best bet is to read the manual. You'll find both V3 and V5 manuals in the database. Link at the top of this page.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Trent_Kay » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks guys. I've been reading the manual and long story short I was for some reason under the impression that this was a DAW and it's TOTALLY NOT. But it's cool. If I can't get a decent set up using this I can either part it out or resell it I guess. I'm going to check around to see if I can find some more used gear and get moving. Thanks again!
Trent_Kay

Next

Return to d8b Forum