Change font size   Print view

D8B, HDR Problem

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B, HDR Problem

Postby gregt » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:43 pm

I have had a D8B and HDR now for years. Never upgraded system. Then I bought out a studio and it had a D8B and HDR. Married them together. Worked like a charm. Got a Big Ben. Everything was honky dory. Had to close studio down and put everything in storage. Found a smaller place. Hooked up the first D8B and HDR. Things went fine until the hard drive in the HDR went by,by. No problem, got the second HDR out hooked everything up and now the D8B doesn't read the HDR's time. Nor can I control it from the D8B. Took the Big Ben out of the equation. I have the 24 bit cards and an Apogee card as well. I'm going crazy. Can anyone walk me through this one is it a submask issue?Ive tried all I know! Help!
gregt

Re: D8B, HDR Problem

Postby Old School » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Am I correct to assume that the "storage" was not climate controlled? These units are very adversely affected by large swings in temperature & condensation which cause ribbon cables to become loose and In the case of sweating, can short out a card or MB. I would start by reseating all the cards (remove and spray the contacts with contact cleaner) and reconnect all ribbon cables. I hope this helps.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby gregt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:36 am

It was climate controlled and I cleaned all possible contacts and gave them a proper amout of air to everything. Have taken the Big Ben out of equation for now. Anyone else have any ideas? What about subnet id's? What should they read and is 0,1,2 the right ID's on the digital side of things. At a point where I'll pay for a fix. If anyone can help!
gregt

Postby arjepsen » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:49 am

Sure everything is connected right?
clock cards connected to each other right with a bnc cable?
Termination on the HDR clock card set right? (there's a pushbutton switch back there...)
Midi cables connected right? (I believe the play/stop/fwd/bwd buttons require midi...)

If those are correct, do you have other equipment you could use to do some error search with?
(Personlally I have a MOTU ultralite avb that I use to check whether the midi and lightpipe is working correctly. )

Have you checked through this guide:
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/wordclock.html
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi,
Please to explain what subnet ID's you are talking about. Are you talking about having both d8b and hdr Device ID set to 0 (1-8) (9-16) (17-24)? I have never had to set a subnet ID for anything to get the HDR and the D8B to communicate. FTP is the only thing I can even think of where subnet is mentioned.

Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby gregt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 pm

My device ID's Are 0, 1, 2 on both machines, midi cables are correct, I can rout signals to and from them, all that works but still no control from D8B. It doesn't see any MMC code from HDR.
gregt

Postby Old School » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi,
Try deleting the "startup" file on the D8B, this will force it to create a new one when you reboot. I had a problem like this once when my startup file was corrupt. There is something else I want to check out for you but I'm not at my studio now. I will post again this evening. Hope this helps.

Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 pm

My guess is the d8b motherboard battery has died and the BIOS settings has been reset to default. Change the battery and reset the BIOS settings. When a battery dies and the BIOS settings revert to default, the MIDI doesn't work anymore.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gregt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:42 am

My partner at our studio just called and said he was snooping around the internet this afternoon and found a link saying the same thing! How weird is that? I'll let you know what happens. Come to think of it, it hasn't been able to keep the date and time either!
gregt

Postby Petersueco » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Hello Greg.

I guess your login problems are gone now. :D I have to say there is not much I can do to help when a user requests a new password. It's just how the forum software works. Kind of automatic.

Welcome. Nice to have you here.

And keep us posted about your issue.

Peter.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to d8b Forum