Change font size   Print view

d8b Compact Flash issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b Compact Flash issue

Postby lnegro » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:32 pm

hello

Thought I'd start a new thread on this hoping that it makes more sense and leads to a helpful solution

My d8b is the 300mhz version with 3.0 operating system and 20gb HD. I have used it for many years with no issues and now want to convert to a compact flash drive. I got a backplane card reader and I'm using a Sandisk 4gb ultra CF card. All BIOS settings have been checked and confirmed proper. The d8b works fine with the original HD connected. Switching to the CF connected, the system recognizes it, and the floppy OS starts to load. After some time I get the familiar upper right corner flashing star, and then the system 43 error. I did get as far as the format command once but the format failure error occurred.

I have tried other brands of CD cards and adapters and I'm still getting the same result. I have tried changing BIOS settings and other OS floppies. This is relatively simple task yet I'm stumped. I converted to CF in both my HDR and MDR with no problem. What m I missing with the d8b.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Larry
lnegro

Re: d8b Compact Flash issue

Postby KayDee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:02 pm

I have a similar issue.

Cloned the HDD to an 8GB CF Card. The partition and boot loader on the card seems to be valid, as I'm able to start booting it from my regular PC (the OS won't load, of course), however not on the d8b. The BIOS seems to recognize the card properly (LBA, UDMA 82 8065MB), but I keep getting the good old "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

Am I using a too large sized CF card (the OS partition is only 2GB btw)? Or where did I go wrong? ;-)

Any suggestions?
KayDee

Re: d8b Compact Flash issue

Postby Old School » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi all,
Just a thought, but have you guys tried removing all partitions from the CF card before you try to install the OS or clone the HD to it? Sometimes these drives come with software on them which I think must be removed. Just a shot in the dark.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum