Change font size   Print view

Clock problems? please help.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Clock problems? please help.

Postby arjepsen » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Hey.
I'm having some trouble with my d8b + HDR setup.
When I play back some tracks from the HDR, I get some noises, mostly like short bursts of white noise being so loud that the HDR and d8b shows clipping.
I've been thinking that it could be clock problems.... but I'm not sure.

Initially I put together some tracks on Ardour running on KXStudio on my laptop, to which I have my MOTU ultralite avb connected. I then played the tracks through the MOTU's ADAT to the d8b, and routed the tracks to tape out to the HDR, also through ADAT. (I have some opt-8's in the d8b, and an opt-24 in the HDR, though I also have the problem with opt-8's in the d8b before I got the opt-24). The d8b got the apogee clock card, and the problem is there no matter whether the d8b or the HDR is the master. I've also played around with the termination button on the back of the clock card in the HDR without solving the problem.

Funny enough everything seemed fine when I first had recorded the tracks on the HDR, and it actually seems like the problems started after I started editing on the HDR (moving some tracks around, since I had recorded them at different times on the HDR).

One thing I'm wondering about: In Ardour, the recording setup was at 32 bits 48khz. The HDR seems to want 24 bits.
Could this be a part of the problem? My guess was, that when I played it through the d8b and routed the out to the HDR, it should be a format that the HDR would like.... am I right or wrong?

Anyone had similar problems?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Clock problems? please help.

Postby funk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:28 am

hi i cant help much here sorry, but i do remember when i got the d8b when setting it up i got exactly that white noise with all meters in the red, this was down to clocking with me it was a dodgy bnc lead, i changed the lead reseated the cards and its not been back since, but on one of my hdr,s when i arm 1 more than any 16 tracks i get the same static on them tracks, so if i arm the 24, 8 will go nutz,
cant help more than this sorry.
im sure one of the d8b wizzards will be along to help once thought about.
good luck
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby Phil.c » Sun May 01, 2016 8:59 am

Have you tried recording new tracks with everything set to 24 bits?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for yor inputs.
It may have been some trouble with the ide - sata converter I used in the HDR.
Right now it sort of seems stable, and I've got a CF card and converter ccoming in the mail - hoping that will be more stable.

Regards.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum