Change font size   Print view

Cleaning a pcb?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Cleaning a pcb?

Postby phantomrage » Wed May 04, 2016 6:22 pm

Sorry to post a off topic mackie board. But seeing there is no other mackie forums, I'm hoping the mackie love passes on to other boards.. besides it could happen to a d8b.

I've started cleaning and a little restoration to a 40.8 and was wondering if anyone has had luck cleaning sticky unknown residue off mackie pcbs?

Trying not to ruin all the potentiometers in the process and the quality tip with alcohol is not going to work...

Ideals?
phantomrage

Re: Cleaning a pcb?

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed May 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Phantomrage;

The best method I think!
A good electronic repair shop will have a bath called an "Electrolyses" bath that should remove everything quickly and easily. It will also clean all contacts at the same time..

Another method!
Use a good electronics cleaner and compressed air (low pressure, say 40 lbs). Spray the PCB, let it sit a bit, then use the compressed air and a clean paint brush. Should be quicker than a "Q" tip and alcohol.

I would go for the first method. May cost you a bit but the results will be better.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks, I will call around and see if I can get them in for a bath.

I have no clue what this is, but I see it causing problems if left as it is.
phantomrage

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Phantomrage;

It is a tub which has distilled water and some chemicals (not sure exactly what chemicals), and a rack or posts on the bottom to hold the PCB off the bottom.

A controlled electrical voltage/current is applied to the "water" and produces a chemical reaction which removes debris and cleans copper, brass and gold. It is also used to clean rings (ie wedding rings) and other hard to clean metals.

The limitations are the size of the bath and the item needed to be clean. So, jewellery stores have these but are geared to clean rings and smaller items. Electronic repair shops (those that have these) are geared to clean PCB's.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum