Change font size   Print view

Suggestions for a dac.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Suggestions for a dac.

Postby arjepsen » Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey.
I have a pair of tannoy reveal 502's connected to my d8b.
It works, but I'm not happy with the sounds I get (have tried all the available master c/r outs).
I got a MOTU ultralite avb that i've been quite happy with, but it has no spdif (rca) or aes input, so I can only use it by using some funky bus out stuff. Have been looking at getting the MOTU 1248 avb instead, but it's a bit above my price range at the moment.
Short story: I'm thinking about buying a converter, but am thinking about what to get. Have been looking at the RME adi-2 and the Mutec mc-4
What do you guys think?

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Suggestions for a dac.

Postby anyhorizon » Sat May 21, 2016 7:41 am

What are an avb and an adi ?

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby arjepsen » Sun May 22, 2016 9:35 am

arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun May 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks. Much as I like RME, the MOTU looks more versatile.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby arjepsen » Mon May 23, 2016 11:27 pm

The MOTU ultralite avb is quite nice! My biggest plus for it, is that the whole configuration/dsp is accesible through a web interface - meaning if you hook it up to your network, you can configure it through any computer on your net. Since it's also usb class complient it is a very nice interface to use under Linux :-)

However, my problem right now is as stated above - I already have the MOTU interface, but it doesn't have spdif through rca connecter, or aes connector - so I can't use it as a dac for the digital out of my d8b.
Hence my question about peoples suggestions for a dac.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Tue May 24, 2016 12:27 am

Hi,
I don't think the problem is with the analog outs, I think the problem is the self-powered monitors. If they are "class D" technology then I think that even more. I have an old Phase linear power amp and some old JBL studio monitors and they sound great. Just my humble opinion.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Klinux » Thu May 26, 2016 10:46 pm

What isn't sounding right through your monitors? I run a pair of M-Audio BX8 monitors directly from the D8B really happy with the sound. I also have a Behringer Ultramatch pro which goes to some outboard gear like a solid state recorder and I only use the Ultramatch because it dithers down to 16bit for me and does it very well and I can run the same signal to various sources. I know there are other routes but it works well for me and the Ultramatch is a handy piece of gear to have in the studio for other things. I've never really needed to run my monitors through it. I was curious what the sound issue is?
Klinux

Postby Old School » Fri May 27, 2016 6:46 pm

[*]Hi Klinux,
Whatever the problem is, one thing is certain, converting a "bad" analog sound into digital is not going to improve it.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sat May 28, 2016 1:07 am

Well, it's all objective of course, but I feel that the sound I get directly from the d8b seems sort of muffled or constricted compared to sending it to a bus and trough adat to my MOTU interface. I also get less noise when I use the preamps from the MOTU and sending it through adat to the tape ins on the d8b. Generally I'd like to bypass the converters of the d8b, but as stated the ultralite doesn't have spdif rca connectors or aes. I've been looking at the 1248 avb which can do everything I want it to - but I just don't have the money for that one.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum