Change font size   Print view

I made a big big boo boo

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

I made a big big boo boo

Postby garrett21allen » Sun May 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi all

I am a shame to even say this but I did the dumbest thing. After I Finley got my d8b lights to come on the only problem I was having was the chanal faders and the head phone volum and speaker volum and the chanals would not move when I went from bank to bank. So I went back in the console and checked everything I could. Here goes please don't give me a hard time. But I forgot I had my power on but the d8b was not powered on so I hooked the big friggen cable up before I screwed it in it touch the board then I heard a pop and sizzle the way a speaker will make
So I booted the board and nothing no light not even the rud solo light would come on. So what I am asking do you think it could have messed up the power supply board and do you think it could have went to the brain board I hope not gees I could kick my on butt just when I thought we might get it back going this happens. I am getting ready to go back in and see what I can. Last night I was to mad to do it. Thanks for any input

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: I made a big big boo boo

Postby Phil.c » Sun May 22, 2016 5:11 pm

We've all done similar things Joe.

If my memory serves me well, I seem to remember some fuses in the CPU, but I worry about that sizzling sound!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Sun May 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks Phil

I have not made it back to my building yet getting ready to go. But last night I remember it did show the chanals on the monitor even when there was no life on the d8b the sizzle I was talking about is like you know how you can take a speaker wire out of the socket and put it back in and you get that sound. That's what I got last night

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 am

Well I just went back into the board I did not see anything wrong that I could see I reseated and checked every thing again just to be shure . The next thing for me to do is check the fuses like Phil said also I just noticed this on the monitor the fader bank one showes up but the mouse is not showing up as before. So I was thinking could it sapped something in the cpu the reason I ask this is because when the big friggen cable touch the board it was not plugged in the socket so I was thinking that sizzle thing ran back down to the cpu. But I could be wrong just thinking about things. Have never replaced a fuse so I don't even know where there located are there any pictures or does anyone know where there at. I do have a mess but this time it's my fault for being so clumsy. I really do thank anyone for any kind of help or input on this. Thanks again. One more thing is it possible it could have hit the power card that goes to the big friggen cable

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Tue May 24, 2016 2:01 am

Hi everyone

Let me ask if this happen to you what would you do or where would you start. I know it's not an easy thing to anwer but I need to start some where I just don't know where. That was a dumb thing I done now I am paying for it. So any help sure would help. Sorry not trying to worry anyone. Since this happen all I think about is how dumb it was on my part. Thanks again for any help or input.

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am

I think you might be better off buying a replacement, but this alone has it's problems, is it working, even with a demo, there could be hidden items that don't work, small thing that you wouldn't think of at the time.

Also, finding a good one that's close to you as the shipping again could be costly.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue May 24, 2016 1:57 pm

The three fuses are in the power supply, as you can see in the pic, they are located next to a 7 pin connector containing mostly Red and brown cables with a black in there as well. Check them and see if they are fried. If so, replace with the same value and see where that gets you.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue May 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi Joe;

Changing fuses is no big deal so see if you can do that! If not do you have a friend or is there a repair shop close to you that can help?

I think Phil has the best idea given your situation, but... If you are somewhat close to Eric Russ he may be able to assist. He did have a d8b Tech he was associated with who knows the d8b. I would think about that option as well. See what it is going to cost at least.

If I lived closer I'd come over and lend a hand!

Let us know how things are going!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks guys

I will check the fuses I can do that I just didn't know where they was located. Bruce you and Phil are right about another d8b but most of them today has there on little problems as Phil said. Then you have to go thru the trouble oh getting 5.1 on it unless your lucky and get one with it already on there that's what I think about. And was hoping I did not have to do that as we the forum was so close to getting my d8b working again and then I went and did this silly thing. Also I think I will check with Eric and see what he tells me he was going to look at my board Then with the forums help we got the lights back working until this happen. Thanks again and thank you too crash

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:48 pm

garrett21allen wrote:I will check the fuses I can do that I just didn't know where they was located.

I'd be interested to see what ensues once any fuses are replaced - from what I read here about the sizzling, etc... hopefully, the fuse(s) failed before anything electronically got nailed with an over-voltage and/or current surge - that has the potential to cause further collateral damage... just keep this in mind if you notice 'new' bugga-boos when you get it fired back up...

You knew it was coming, so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum