Change font size   Print view

Burned CD's

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Burned CD's

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 am

Old School wrote:Doesn't quite live up to my slogan? Is your problem with me "have a blessed day in Christ"?

You're turning it around OS. Proof? None. And I believe in Jesus Christ but I don't shove it down people's throats. It's personal.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:45 am

Old School wrote:You are in essence calling me a liar.

You have a way with words, OS. I always avoid the "l" word but you cannot backup your original claim and are travelling on some mystical internot fantasy. You've already demonstrated your misunderstanding via your posts and I could C&P them back to back if you wish. BTW, you haven't pointed me to any previous correspondence where I derided you. I'm keen for that to be clarified. It's all there so you shouldn't have any trouble locating it.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:33 am

You have admitted that your beef with me is personal and that its based on my mention of the name of Jesus Christ. I have not shoved him down anyone's throat. This is America and I have just as much right to display my religion as you do to disdain it. Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. It is obvious to me that you wish to engage in a pissing contest and I will no longer participate.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Old School wrote:You have admitted that your beef with me is personal and that its based on my mention of the name of Jesus Christ. I have not shoved him down anyone's throat. This is America and I have just as much right to display my religion as you do to disdain it. Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. It is obvious to me that you wish to engage in a pissing contest and I will no longer participate.

Fine by me but you still haven't provided anything to give your initial post in this thread credence. You also haven't pointed me to anything to substantiate your claim and I quote, "It seems you disagree or disapprove of almost everything I post though I don't know why. I have never done anything to you or said anything negative about you."

Also, perhaps you should credit Woody Allen for your signature, just as a mark of respect.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:58 pm

I did some reading on this and as far as I can tell, oversampling is a function implemented by the CD/DVD device manufacturers. There is nothing in the Redbook spec about encoding material at 2x or 4x (let alone 8x which was introduced well after the spec was written) into commercial pressings. There was some mention of Phillips attempting to initially set the spec for 14 bit using a 4x oversampling scheme to get to behave like native 16 bit....but that was it.

There is no difference between the material recorded on glass masters and computer burned CDs. The CD player manufacturers determine what kind of codec is used to convert the data stream to audio.....which means if they're using a 4x method, burned or commercial CDs are going to play back that way. There is nothing in the Redbook spec about embedding a special playback code into commercial CDs TOC to switch to 4x oversampling.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:07 pm

A voice of reason. Thanks, Frank.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi Frank,
If you will read the first post in the thread, what I said is that the consumer playback DEVICES are programmed to play back the two types of CD's differently. I never said anything about encoding. What I said was that there must be something on the replicated CD that tells the player that this is a replicated CD.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 am

Yes, I read your first post when this thread started. I didn't have any time to post at that time and couldn't respond until today. I was going to chime in asking as to where you got your information from....but left it to today. Boy, was I surprised how fast this thread expanded.

What I'm telling you is that there is nothing in the Redbook spec about encoding data to specifically trigger a CD player to switch oversampling rates on a commercially produced CD. Nor is there anything in the glass manufacturing process designed to do same. A CD player plays a CD with whatever its highest oversampling rate is available, regardless of disk origin.

What you have initially suggested would appear to be internet myth. If my research is faulty, please let me know and I'll be happy to retract my statement.

Vote Cthulhu 2016. Why vote for the lesser of two evils when you can vote for the greater.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum