Change font size   Print view

Using my Profire 2626 as host controller for my D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Using my Profire 2626 as host controller for my D8B

Postby AustinFa04 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:50 pm

Hello all, and thanks for your input (no pun intended) ahead of time...

Recently I purchased a Mackie D8B to replace my Mackie 24X8 Analogue Mixer due to my power supply going out on me.
Before, my analogue board was just a imput device for my studio, I ran in to a M-Audio Pro Fire 2626 as my host controller connected via Fire Wire, and slaved to that via TOS link (Light Pipe) I have a MOTU 828 MK II for 8 additional Pres.
My Profire is capable of handling 26 simultaneous in and outs. it can convert at 192Khz, 24 bit. I do most of my recording at at least 88.2Khz, 24Bit as a means to take advantage of as many channels simultaneously as possible while still maintaining as high of a conversion rate as possible. and would run each channel from my Direct Outs of my board to my Pro Fire and MOTU.

I am running OS V3 on the Mackie D8B (I know this prohibits me from using the board as a controle serface for Pro Tools, but I dont care about that right now), I have 3 Apogee Digital I/O Cards with a combanation of TDIF, Light Pipe, and Sync connections on it, I also have 1 Digital I/O EBU card with Digital I/O S/DIF.

So here is the problem...
Now that I am using a Mackie D8B as my front end, The only way for my to send my signals going out of my board to my ProFire is through TOS link, TDIF cards, or use my AUX Outs sense I no longer have Direct Outs for each channel on my board.
I did connect light pipe between my Profire 2626 to the D8B, and that allows my to send signal to my Profire from the board to Pro Tools, however the board wants to act as host, limiting me to no higher then 48Khz sample rate, which impends my ability to open most of my works in progress on Pro Tools, unless I use the Pro Fire in Stand Alone mode.
I would prefer to have the ProFirs 2626 continue to be the host controller so I can have full range of my sample rates, but I cant seem to make this possible.

Do I need to buy the Analogue only I/O cards for the D8B in order to achieve this, or can I set the D8B as a slave to the Profire 2626 as I did my MOTU? Any assistance would be amazing.
AustinFa04

Re: Using my Profire 2626 as host controller for my D8B

Postby arjepsen » Tue May 31, 2016 12:11 pm

The d8b can only go as high as 48khz so any time you have any audio going through it, that is your max.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Using my Profire 2626 as host controller for my D8B

Postby AustinFa04 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:25 am

Thanks for the response, and yes, I did determine this to be the case unfortunately.

I did however find a work around where I patched each of my Aux Outs from the D8B to my patch bay and set my Pro Fire 2626 up with two Profire settings, one digital to work with the new system and one analogue to work with my old projects higher then 48Khz. When in analogue, I send the signal coming into the board out through my Aux outs into my patch bay, patch out from there into the analogue in's on my Profire (Pro Tools) and set my Profire to stand alone mode. It only gives me 8 analogue ins this way, but thats not a big deal. For future projects I will do 48Khz using the "Digital" profire I set up with the ProFire in ADAT mode in order to take advantage of all my channels moving forward.
AustinFa04

Return to d8b Forum