Change font size   Print view

Upgrading from 3.0 to 5.1 with out a floppy drive

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Upgrading from 3.0 to 5.1 with out a floppy drive

Postby AustinFa04 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 am

I have downloaded the OS5V1_free.zip software from these forums, and am looking foward to upgrading my D8B Operating systems from 3.0 to it, however, I have no way to actually create the install disks.
How can I upgrade the OS of my D8B without using floppy disks? I dont have a single computer capable of making floppy disks, nor have I owned a single floppy disk in years. Is there another way?
AustinFa04

Re: Upgrading from 3.0 to 5.1 with out a floppy drive

Postby AustinFa04 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:35 am

Followup...

I do have a CD ROM drive that can hook up to the old style IDE controller like what the HDD uses, and there is an open controller on the mother board, and the bios gives me the option to set the CD Rom drive as a bootable drive. Can I burn the setup files on to a CDR and do that instead?
AustinFa04

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:15 am

Hi Austin;

What I did was;
1- put the "Munk Hack" file onto a FOB
2- removed the hard drive from my d8b.
3- Installed the d8b hard drive in my PC (it was actually an older XP Machine). The PC saw it as another HD.
4- copied the old file (the one I was gong to replace) from the d8b hard drive to the HD of the XP machine, then to a FOB. Keep as a backup in case things go wrong.
5- replaced the old file on the d8b Hard Drive with the updated file from the FOB.
5- Re-installed Hard drive in my d8b.
6- Turned it on and the rest was "Munk Magic". It all worked.

Now.... I had a back-up plan in case this didn't work. My local PC repair store said they could do that for me no matter what storage device I had it on. Even 5 1/4" floppies? I asked.... they said yes. (WOW)

You can purchase a 3 1/2" floppy that will connect to you newer machine via USB. Good luck finding floppies. This gets "stuff onto a floppy that you can stick into your d8b. I say again, good luck finding working floppies.

As an alternative, there is a post in here about a floppy emulator. It gives you a SSD (I think) with 1.44MB partitions using a USB FOB. Don't know much about it but it works (so I have read).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby AustinFa04 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks Bruce, Ill give that a shot today and let you know how it turns out. :D
AustinFa04

Postby AustinFa04 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Update...

I built a linux system off of a older motherboard that still contained a IDE controller for the purpose of connecting the HDD from the D8B computer and connecting it up to the linux system to backup my old V3 OS and install the files for OS 5.1, however I am still confused on how to do this with out floppy disks to install the OS.

The 5.1 download contains three files meant to be extracted as image files onto floppy disks. I have skipped the writ to floppy disk option and just chose the option to extract them, however I turn up when all said and done with less files then I need for the OS, and three .iso image files, so if I cant do a strat hard disk to hard disk copy of the OS files to the D8B HDD how am I supposed to install it?
AustinFa04

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi Austin;

Sorry I assumed 5.1 had been loaded. My bad.

If you PM me with your mailing address I will send you 5.1 OS Install 3 1/2" Disks. Sorry, I was thinking that is was just the Hack file.

Once you get the disks, install the 5.1 OS, once you put it back in the d8b (sorry), then remove it again and copy the Hack as I mentioned before.

I will also send all the unlock codes (the ones I got) when I send the disks, unless you already have them.

Another alternative is to see if a friend, local to you, or a Computer Store can extract the files for you.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby AustinFa04 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:54 pm

I really appreciate the offer Bruce!

Lets put that one on the back burner, bc I dont want to have to put you out.
I am going to try and get a hold of some floppy disks and create them my self, I also set up a FTP connection with the D8B which gives me access to all its files now through any of my windows machines, so I am going to look at some other avenues and go from there, if I cant get it accomplished, then I will take you up on that offer. However, I dont think I have any unlock codes, so (i guess??) I will still need those.

I have a operational machine with V 3.0, I downloaded 5.1 from the database and the OS5v1_free.zip from munkustrap's drop box, is there still more I need?

Sorry for the ignorance in all this, I am new to the D8B and how it goes about validating everything, so I am fumbling through it as best I can.
AustinFa04

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi Austin;

Good you got your FTP to work. I had it once, lost it, and can't get it back! Once you get 5.1 installed you can use your FTP to install the hack.

I didn't use the OS5v1 from Munk. I had the install disks. Perhaps his version has the Hack built in?

You stated above you got the 5.1 from the database, but you got OS5v1_free.zip from Munk. Not sure if you have 2 of the same things or not?

What you do need to make 5.1 and all the unlock codes work is a file called "control.asc", which you get from his drop box. There is a link in the topic called "5.1 Crack" or something like that.

Once you get the d8b up and running there are a few, OK several, things you will need to know to help make things run smoother. Things that have been learned and passed on by the great folks here in the Forum.

Let us know and I/we can pass along what we have learned.

Cheers and good luck.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby AustinFa04 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:07 pm

yeah lol, now I'm even more confused then ever... I will PM you.
AustinFa04

Postby arjepsen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:15 pm

I got 5.1 running on mine, with munkustraps hack.
I could try to make an image file of my HD, and give you a link for that image file?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum