Change font size   Print view

d8b clean outputs

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b clean outputs

Postby Carlo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:56 am

Dear all,

I've started a new project and the miking of the amp guitars are going to be done by a re-amping method. Im using a radial x-amp re-amping box. Im taking the output of the clean recorded guitar signal from the AUX out of the d8b but im noticing that there is a considerable amount of noise (its like a high pitched hum). When i increase the gain level on the reamp box the hum is amplified. With a gate it can be controlled but i wish to have a good sound at source. IS the Aux out a clean output source to use? Do you recommend any other outputs from the d8b? which is the cleaner output you know of? Do you recommend the bus out instead of the aux out?

I have noticed that the same high pitched (but low in volume) sound is evident when i use multiple instances of the plugin final mix.... For e.g. if i attempt on using 4 final mix instances on both UFX cards the same high pitched sound pops up? I have two d8b's and on both mixers it happens.

Thanks

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b clean outputs

Postby Crash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:45 pm

have you tried the bus outs? I remember using the auxes as monitor sends for wedges in a live setting and they had a sort of sizzle to them. Not sure if that is the same sound you are hearing but it is there in all the consoles. Research the digital filtering on the console as it is related...if it is the same sound.

I noticed that the Final Mix plug has some activity on the output meters even with nothing playing through it. I usually click on the gate and roll the threshold from -70 to about -65ish and it cleans it up.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Hey Carlo;

Is it possible to get a sample of what you are hearing?

A couple of subjects that is not talked about much here in this forum is Balance / Unbalanced Interfacing and Power Distribution (the Electrical Power, and it's ground, that powers our setup's).

Are your radial x-amps unbalanced or balanced in and out and atr they connected to AC power or are they battery operated? What type of cables are you using to connect them to your setup?

If you could also explain, simply, how you have connected the electrical power of you setup, that too will help.

If I can hear it it may help sort out what type of noise it is. It could be time for the d8b to have all it's connectors clean to provide good contacts as well. Noise has a very nasty habit of increasing along the signal path.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Crash wrote:have you tried the bus outs? I remember using the auxes as monitor sends for wedges in a live setting and they had a sort of sizzle to them. Not sure if that is the same sound you are hearing but it is there in all the consoles. Research the digital filtering on the console as it is related...if it is the same sound.

I noticed that the Final Mix plug has some activity on the output meters even with nothing playing through it. I usually click on the gate and roll the threshold from -70 to about -65ish and it cleans it up.

I think Crash you described the noise very well...its like a sizzle noise. I will try the bus outs but have to wire a 25Dsub connector to 8 XLR's first since i never used the bus out. What do you mean by ''Research the digital filtering ?''

I agree with you re Final Mix...Thanks for your help Crash

Carlo
Last edited by Carlo on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:Hey Carlo;

Is it possible to get a sample of what you are hearing?

A couple of subjects that is not talked about much here in this forum is Balance / Unbalanced Interfacing and Power Distribution (the Electrical Power, and it's ground, that powers our setup's).

Are your radial x-amps unbalanced or balanced in and out and atr they connected to AC power or are they battery operated? What type of cables are you using to connect them to your setup?

If you could also explain, simply, how you have connected the electrical power of you setup, that too will help.

If I can hear it it may help sort out what type of noise it is. It could be time for the d8b to have all it's connectors clean to provide good contacts as well. Noise has a very nasty habit of increasing along the signal path.

Cheers
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

How are you mate?

I try and get a recording of this noise.

My radial x-amps has a balanced XLR input to an unbalanced female jack that goes to the AMP (ENGL SCREAMER 50 Combo). The XAMP is AC operated. Imagine a guitar instead of the XAMP going into the AMP. Its the same thing but instead im getting the sound from the d8b to the XAMP (matching the impedance) to the AMP. The cable im using are normal balanced cables (brand is Cordial) between the d8b and XAMP then normal mono cable (Unbalanced) from the output of the XAMP to the AMP.

I tried to plug the XAMP to various electrical sockets and the noise was still present. Im suspecting that the AUX outs are not providing a neat and clean sound though. I wish to try a different route.

Thanks Bruce

Carlo
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:43 pm

I might try of getting the audio from the AES OUT of the d8b then convert the digital audio to analogue from my MOTU 1224 to the XAMP then to the AMPLIFIER. I use the d8b's AES during mixdowns and never had a noise issue.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:13 pm

What pre-set are you using in Final Mix...does the sound go when Final Mix is not loaded?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Carlo wrote:What do you mean by ''Research the digital filtering ?''

I agree with you re Final Mix...Thanks for your help Crash

Carlo

I am talking about this.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/console.html#Post2
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi to all

Thanks crash.

Hi phil
Re final mix I'm using my own preset but have to check if it.makes a difference if not loaded

C
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Final Mix is as Crash mentioned, there is slight activity on the VU's, check your settings on this as they might add to it.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum