Change font size   Print view

Rail Caps!!!f Argh!! Nearly!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Rail Caps!!!f Argh!! Nearly!

Postby Phil.c » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:01 am

Two days ago I had a"plugin communication erra" message, the symptoms to look for are, the plugins take a long time to load...then the message.

A d8b ribbon connector re-seat solved the problem, then last night in the middle of mixing, I got a thud, thud, thud, and a " DSP error" message, my first thoughts...the rail caps had blown!

Luckily, another ribbon connector re-seat fixed it, so just a message to all that just because a re-seat has been done doesn't neccesarily mean that it doesn't have to be done again straight after :)

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Rail Caps!!!f Argh!! Nearly!

Postby Carlo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Its true....i experienced the same Sh*T too. I was thinking of soldering the ribbon cable that is going from the d8b's distribution board to the card cage board. It fails too often....frustrating.

What do you think? Shall i solder the cable in place? I believe that this will solve the majority of downtime periods.

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi Carlo

I think if your good with soldering you should try it and if it works let us
all know Just how you solder it. Like you said it fails to many times there was a post I think Steve T posted ages ago
about a cork you could put on the ribbon cable ends. The trouble with that its hard to find the name brand
He listed at any hardware store lowes or Home Depot. So yes it would be good to solve this problem a lot of people still have with there d8b

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:48 pm

I don't think soldering is a good idea. It will deface the pins forever. I'm pretty sure what Joe mentions about SteveT's cure is in the database and he mentions the calking compound by name.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Here's a link to SteveT's article. Check down the bottom of the post.

Ribbon Cables

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:16 am

Steve also had a thread about siliconing the connectors, but not the standard bathroom type as it gives off a acid vapour.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:33 pm

anyhorizon wrote:I don't think soldering is a good idea. It will deface the pins forever. I'm pretty sure what Joe mentions about SteveT's cure is in the database and he mentions the calking compound by name.

Peter

Dead.Nutz.On Peter...

It'd be just as easy to locate a new connector and do any soldering there (if necessary & applicable) - hard wiring it will make it much more difficult to return things to OEM and you have the potential of opening a Pandora's Box of other issues. Changing a molex connector would be MUCH less invasive - easier to replace a cable than a power distribution board... :geek:

However, you certainly knew it was coming, so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace

\m/ 8-) ,,,
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby SteveT » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:32 am

Silicone RTV...use ONLY electronics grade!!!! If it smells like vinegar, it has Acetic in it, and the fumes EAT copper for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks in between!!! Dow Corning (or some other companies) make the electronics compatible stuff, but I am un-able to find the type I used to use, and mine went bad, so I am looking for another type or brand.

SteveT
SteveT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum