Change font size   Print view

Hey guys, hello I'm new here, but have simple question.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Hey guys, hello I'm new here, but have simple question.

Postby MackieNoobUser » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi guys,

I've just recently bought a d8b to hook up to my PC using a RME hdsp9652 via the three ADAT optical ports.

I'm able to get audio IN to the desk, but nothing going back to the RME PC card. I don't even see any light out of the end of the lightpipe from the desk. I've followed all instructions / advice on forums but am still at a loss.

Set-up is: d8b with 3x ADAT cards. Connected to the RME board in my PC. Ins>Outs, Outs>Ins etc.

I have audio returning from my PC to the tape-in bank on the d8b, but can't see anything going out. I'm guessing this is just a stupid configuration / setup that I've done but I can't fathom what it could be. It's all synced on a separate wordclock unit and all indicators say wordclock is locked.

Have I missed something vital and simple and will be made to look stupid within a few posts? For the record I've set up several studios with SSL, SoundTracs, DAR desks and editors before. I'm just being blind-sided here on this one aren't I?!

Much appreciate any advice you guys can give. I've only just joined this forum to ask this rudimentary & basic question, so I apologise for seeming a bit dim... I'm not really!
MackieNoobUser

Re: Hey guys, hello I'm new here, but have simple question.

Postby funk » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi and welcome,
Are they opt 8, or dio8 cards ? both have light pipe connections.
on the Dio8 cards the Op can be Tdif or optical, check in set up you are using the right Op.

take all the light pipes out of the three cards on the back of the D8B and have a look, only 3 should be on, as you know these
are the OPs from the desk.
if nothing, check in the set up menu that it is set for the adat cards.
if still nothing, power down ( turn off) and take one of the cards and put it in the ALT position,
turn on, check its noted in the setup menu in the alt set up and see if you have a light now.
if not, i would find someone with a D8B or a HDR recorder to see if they work on theirs.
other than that, ?
al have a think on it.
but there are real wizards on here that im sure can help,
good luck
Last edited by funk on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby arjepsen » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:38 pm

You wrote that you don't get any signal back to the pc.
How/what do you play back? Are you sure you set the routing up correctly on the d8b?
I believe you have to assign some channels to "route to tape" before it's sent out the lightpipes.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby MackieNoobUser » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:40 am

Hey, thanks guys for your replies.

I think I've nailed it - sort of. I forgot to mention I'm running a separate house word-clock. I set the desk to internal, checked light out from the desk, plugged it all back and voila - audio to the PC.

I was using a looped sound source into Analogue 1&2 and trying to route that. Plugged W/C back and set to external and it's still working... sort of.

I'm hearing (seeing on the RME mixer panel) some glitching on 3/4 & 7/8. And I now appear to have lost audio in from my PC to the desk. Arggh! I've probably just done something wrong - will check again tomorrow, but thank you all for your help!

So glad this forum is here and active! Have a top evening all!

:D
MackieNoobUser

Postby arjepsen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:46 am

If you're syncing to an external word clock source, you need an apogee word clock card in your d8b.
If you set the d8b clock to internal, it wants to be master, and isn't syncing to your external clock source.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby MackieNoobUser » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:01 pm

arjepsen wrote:If you're syncing to an external word clock source, you need an apogee word clock card in your d8b.
If you set the d8b clock to internal, it wants to be master, and isn't syncing to your external clock source.

Apologies - wasn't quite clear there, what I meant was I took the house clock out of the loop and set d8b to internal, then back to external word clock on both devices.
MackieNoobUser

Return to d8b Forum