Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 am

Hey Guys,

Some progress has been made tonight... Not a whole lot, but still... After three missed attempts, I successfully crafted a working serial cable that can control the d8b directly via the "Console Data" port. It works great and I modified my meter bridge demo to work via serial instead instead of over the network. It's not as sexy, I have to admit, but it feels a tad faster as I'm connecting direct through to the board (bypassing completely the power supply/computer).

The nice side effect of this: The old computer in the PSU has nothing to do anymore, it can break, explode, corrode, I just don't care, the PSU becomes a REAL PSU! :D

To answer Peter's question: I used a USB to DB9 cable that can be bought for 10$ or so at any good computer store. Real cheap, works great under Windows 7 x64. If you guys want to know what this cable looks like, take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-26886-Serial-Adapter/dp/B000067RVJ

As for powering up the board without the PSU, it could probably work, it would require to disassemble the PSU and mount it directly to the d8b. It would be a good hack to do! :) But so far, I've got so much on my plate that I'd rather concentrate on making it happen with the "standard" PSU for now.

Take care all,

Marc G.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby High C Double G » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:58 am

Maybe a power supply would be all that is necessary to hook it up (possibly more gracefully than the BFC method?) A lot of analog boards have a box that provides power why not the d8b controller/mixer?
Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tyler8wb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Your project sounds very appealing to me as I mapped out the d8b ....but with the computer.... I was woundering if you knew how many watts does the d8b run off of because if we can power it with a store bought psu then our d8b's will be good maybe even another 10 years :) keep us posted
tyler8wb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Tyler,

The d8b has (I think?) three different voltages, but don't quote me on that, there may be four or more. Pretty sure a standard store bought would not work. The PSU would have to be set up similar to what is in the CPU now or just make a separate box with a reliable rated connector. something like an Edac or Elco if the rating matches - I am pretty lost with Marc's verbage - he really knows about this coding stuff and I don't.

I still like the idea of switching back and forth under power from controller to desk, but like I said... I have no idea what is going on and how this could be possible.

Michael
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey guys,

Here's what the d8b needs in terms of power:

+48 volts - for microphone phantom power.
    +12 volts - for various DSP and electronics
    +5 volts - for various LEDs and lights on the board's surface.
    -/+ 16 volts for faders motors

Don't take this for cash, it's just a rough estimate I made by looking quickly at the service manual. So yes, the d8b needs a little more that a standard wall wart power supply. I'm suspecting that the +12v and the +5v comes directly from the d8b's PC power supply as they are standard PC PSU values.

Cheers,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 pm

The +/- 16 volt rails do a lot more than run the faders. In fact they're the main power for the board. I thought the 5 and 12 volt supplies were mainly for the board logic and CPU functions.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby High C Double G » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

I always thought there was a 17-volt in there for the v-pots... Nothing like the schnab being a friend and the bottom line for the definitive answer. It is a paper chase... I'll do my best to look through the "c$%P" and sniff anything out.

As well, it is not just the voltage but the load that is a consideration (can't be much though IMO). I don't remember but I had it written down at one point what the total load is in watts at 120-volt (USA).

Honestly the easiest way I would think to find out this out is to tone out the BFC wiring, see where it goes and so on. I am not sure either if the DATA cable carries any voltages except for what is already generated by the BFC already.

Another thing I am not sure of is if Mackie got a deal on the cable they used and if the gauge of the wiring is specific or just "what they got at a good price" - It could be possible to get a more manageable cable. Anyway now I am just rambling on so I'll stop.

But... one more thing, if we can't get in to the proprietary OS (software hack) isn't this all a moot point?

Michael
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Hey guys. -been a while. I just renovated my "flooded" studio , and am about to move back in. My trusty D8b is currently boxed up at the moment , as with everything else.

This is great news in this thread. I've often wondered why someone with the technical know-how hasn't truly attempted this feat. ( I'll pay the price for a conversion ). Sorry for clogging up this thread with my useless input. - just excited. Good luck.
farmac

Postby Petersueco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Marc Girard wrote:To answer Peter's question: I used a USB to DB9 cable that can be bought for 10$ or so at any good computer store. Real cheap, works great under Windows 7 x64. If you guys want to know what this cable looks like, take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-26886-Serial-Adapter/dp/B000067RVJ

But I don't get it. The console data cable has a wider connector than the one you are pointing out:

This connector will not fit in the consoles socket... :?

Peter Holmquist.
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby siraltus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Peter - the d8b uses two serial ports to talk to its computer. Thus, you will need to use two of those USB to RS232 cables and then a third, custom-wired cable that has two DB9 plugs on one end and a single DB25 plug on the other that connects to the mixer.
siraltus

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum