Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby kamue » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 am

Hi everyone,

I want to inform everyone, that we have writen a logic Map for the D8b with all 72 fader working, all automations working, mute and all the other stuff workin. IN 2 WAYS. NO HUI MODE NEEDED ANYMORE. ALL FADERS ARE ROUTED ( not only 8 like in hiu mode) i wanted to ask everyone in here, is there a need for that, or have it done someone else already?

we wrote it in logic 5.1, because it is simpler to make midi routing in there. We tested it for the last year, and the inplementtaion is very good. maybe we can all work together to make it better now. if there is any interest, please post a reply. we will put it online as soon our homepage is ready.

PS.: no need for additional cable, works all with midi interface. You just need Logic.
kamue

Postby NigelC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

I am interested to know as you said Logic 5.1, are you on a mac or PC now? I tried MIDI Mapping in Logic 9.1 and although I had success in controlling Logic from the D8B, I just could not get feedback from Logic to the D8B faders (positions were not stored or remembered) and I could not control the D8B faders from Logic (9.1.6).

Also to get the Mutes to work right I had to create two Maps in Logic one for On and one for Off as the Toggle setting did not work right it needed two clicks each way. Did you manage to map Solo, Select, Write etc and how?

I would be very interested to study your map and any feedback you might have to the above as I gave up as nobody could answer why or if Logic could send MIDI feedback (many forums suggest it requires some Environment tweaking to work).
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kamue » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:10 pm

we made a complete new environment, i will talk to my friend on thuesday about a release date, tutorial and things like that. Hope you can wait till then.

2 year ago i tried to map things in logic to the d8b. I tried everything i could, but it would never work in 2 ways. I was about to give up, when my friend said that i should not. Half an hour later it did work with one fader in 2 ways. Then we started mapping all faders and knobs and pottys and buttons. We programmed 1 year. And now it is finished. I hope we can show it as soon as possible.
kamue

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 am

Everyone says the pan pots don't centralize but I never had a problem in Cubase. Faders weren't quite at the same (0) setting but close enough for jazz. Probably could have been tweaked with an add this or subtract that. Dunno. Will look forward to your implementation.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby NigelC » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I really hope you can show me how you did this. I have tried everything I can think of and started to wonder if there was an issue with my MIDI card on the D8B. I have the HUI layer working fine so I am sure it cannot be faulty... but!

I have tried fiddling with Logic's environment, have checked and rechecked everything. But although I can control Logic from the D8B (Faders, Mutes, Pans - No Solos or Select) I cannot get the D8B to be controlled BY Logic.

I am desperate to know your solution as I need to decide whether to keep trying or give up!

Are you going to be charging for this? If so will there be a video showing the proof it works (and on a Mac)?
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kamue » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:08 pm

We made a new Topic, hope we can talk there:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=552

It works on Mac and Win
kamue

Postby Icepik805 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:25 am

my d8b wheels is workin do i need it for it to run your bridge program...i really think this obard has issues....but will that matter at all if i only use it as daw..i just need the fader to work so i can run daw in cubase?? please help
Icepik805

Postby firehouze » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 am

I'm wondering could I download the software v.5 to a custom pc
Ausus m5a78l m USB 3 motherboard
32gb ram 2tb hard drive.
And use logic pro x with my db8
Or would I still have to use the Ethernet to the old Mackie cpu
firehouze

Postby FrankH » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Even though this is a 5 year old thread...I think it's appropriate to update it with this information.

Mark Girard's D8Bridge is dead.

ClickMe
He discusses making the code open source and posting it on his website....but the website no longer exists and is up for sale.

So I guess that's pretty much it for this little adventure.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:12 pm

I guess I will un stick the topic form the top of the forum them.

Thanks for letting me know, Frank
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum