Change font size   Print view

Dio 8 cards

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Dio 8 cards

Postby Old School » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:54 am

Hi all,
I have a question. What is the BNC connector on the Dio-8 cards for. Does this work separately from the Apogee wordclock in and out? And is it an "in" or and "out". I have several of these that came with some spare units I bought, but have never used them.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Dio 8 cards

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:53 am

Hey Mike;

The BNC connector, according to the HDR Tech Manual, page 213, outputs a DTRS clock signal that is the same frequency as the Word Clock but 90 degrees out of phase.

Mackie further suggests "this card should be used for latency issues only, and any planing that is to be done around a new system (right.. funny isn't it), this card should not be used but the ADAT OPT-8 card should be used. They have no plans for future developmental of this DIO 8 Card".

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:44 pm

Hey Bruce,
Thanks for the info. Do you know what the original purpose of this out of phase clock output was supposed to be?

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:06 am

Hey Mike;

I am not 100% sure. I was working in TV Broadcasting when this standard was presented but My guess would be for reference to the then standard of NTSC (this is pre HD stuff).
In order for the new "Digital Video Tape Recorders" (HD in an SD world) and all the newer Digital Audio stuff that was happening at that time (very exciting I must say), to stay referenced to the analogue Time Code and analogue a "phase shift of 90 degrees was required to keep all the little soldiers marching in time with each other. The "Phase Shift" was to bring the 2 together, allowing for latency.

Just a guess. If you wish to know for sure I can dig a little deeper and see if some of my fellow retired TV Broadcasters remember this stuff?

It may be all a part of history ad may be lost in the cobwebs of their brains.

Edit.

Here is some reading material on the DTRS code. http://www.silentway.com/definitive-dtr ... de-submenu.

Some lite bedtime reading!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum