Change font size   Print view

Might buy this D8B, but..

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Might buy this D8B, but..

Postby JesterMasque » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I want to mainly use it as the controller for Cubase 8 on my iMac (10.10 Yosemite). I understand that I can get the Probox for the USB interfacing, and the rest I can gather from the multitude of threads on the subject.

Now, the big question, I have read so far that the PSU/CPU is only completely necessary to use the console in it's fullest capacity. Are there any solid resources to build the necessary PSU to power it for DAW control?

Also, the unit I am interested in is missing the PSU. Should I be very worried about it not working given what I want to use it for? It's like, sub-$200 cheap, from an audio storage closet in a church. At that price, I imagine I could get my money back selling it for parts, but I'd love to try and make this work since I'm sure I have the skills to execute it.

Thanks so much for any and all help!
I look forward to learning more about the D8B. It honestly seems like everything I want to control the in-DAW console in Cubase, and I'm really stoked to try and develop a more tangible workflow since I have more of a background in live sound. I really hate a mouse when trying to just listen and mix.

Cheers!

Vincent M Ippolito
Swift Road Studios
JesterMasque

Re: Might buy this D8B, but..

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:27 am

Hi Vincent and welcome to this forum.

I can not answer your questions regarding the DAW, but I can tell you that you need the CPU and specifically the one for the d8b. Without it the console will not function.

Beyond being the computer to make the desk work it is also the Power Supply for the desk.

You can purchase d8b CPU off ebay from time-to-time, but have a good look around the church. Seems strange that it is not there.

You may run into difficulties getting this up and running as it has been stored but there are a lot of great people here to help out.

Again welcome and cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Might buy this D8B, but..

Postby munkustrap » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi

if you want to use it as a pure DAW Controller with probox, you Need the CPU/PSU for powering the console.
I bought only the console and build myself a PSU to power (5V,12V and +/-16V) but I'm an electronic engineer.
If you have a Little knowledge about electricity and you are able to solder wires then it should be possible to build up your own PSU.
Biggest important Thing is, that your console is 100% working (what you cannot test without CPU/PSU)
munkustrap

Return to d8b Forum