Change font size   Print view

Need help with a different type of D8b boot issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Need help with a different type of D8b boot issue

Postby DeanPelton » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:54 pm

Hey gang!
I am new to the forum and have recently brought my D8b out from storage. I am trying to resolve a long standing issue I have had with this console since I originally purchased it used many years ago.

Ok so here is the random problem: The board will fully boot up and the monitor shows the mix software but sometimes the console and the GUI are simply "stuck/frozen". It looks like everything should work but it does not. Usually disconnecting the power and data cord and rebooting gives me a good result but it often takes several attempts to get things up and running. There is almost always some meter activity at the console at the last moment which alerts me that I am good to go.

Here is what I have done up to this point:
1. Reseated and cleaned all the ribbon cables/cards in the console
2. Cleaned and reseated everything in the CPU
3. Reinstalled 5.1 on a new HD
4. New motherboard battery and reset the Bios settings for 366Mz motherboard
5. Replaced the Ram with a single 256
6. Removed all the cards except the Apogee Clock....the original clock card has gone missing
7. Replaced the data cable that goes from the CPU to the console
8. Delete all mix files and force D8b to create a fresh startup to eliminate a possible corrupt one

I did use the hack and it worked very nicely!!! Many thanks for that to all involved.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if there is a solution.

Thanks so much for any help in advance.

-Dean
DeanPelton

Re: Need help with a different type of D8b boot issue

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Dean and welcome;
At the moment it seems you have done all thing correctly. You could try removing the stress of the BFC. Having downward strain has caused many different problems and perhaps this is another. I would clean it and the pins of the console with a good cleaner.

Have you checked the Database at the top of the screen? I know you have done a lot but perhaps have missed a small point. Have a look and post back. There are a lot og very knowledgeable people here.

Cheers and again, welcome!
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 am

Dean:

Is your console digitally connected to any kind of I/O device(s)? Is a WordClock connection involved?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby DeanPelton » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:03 am

Thanks Men!

Frank I have tried it both ways...NO connection to anything whatsoever and with a PC setup with all the hook ups and boot the PC last if the board boots correctly. Either way I still get the random frozen console boot issue. I'll try cleaning up the Big Friggin Cable again and see what happens.....hmmmm. I just remembered I didn't check the fuses.....I think there are 4? Worth a look see? Wish I had the original clock card to eliminate that Apogee card possibility but plowing ahead.
DeanPelton

Return to d8b Forum