Change font size   Print view

Not starting when warm

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Not starting when warm

Postby Reason2000 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:01 am

Hello

I got Mackie d8b everything works as it has to as long as you not power it off
When used for 10+ minutes mixer after restart wont start
all i hear is clicking noise and flashing green sound lvl lights nr 27,36,37
also 1 fader moves couple of mils up and down nr 16/40
when mixer is cooled starts works as it has to until turned off and on
I checked boards non of the condenses are blowed visually nothing burned etc cables all connected and clean

Any ideas

Thanks in advance
Reason2000

Re: Not starting when warm

Postby Crash » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:31 pm

Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:37 pm

So you have reseated and cleaned the ribbon connectors etc also the BFC?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Reason2000 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Hello

I think it could be capacitors but i have no idea how to check them
I looked at the boards and all capacitors they look ok non of them bulgy
so it means need an expert with equipment to check it
any one knows how to check it or where i can take ii or post it for check and replacement

Thank you
Reason2000

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:26 pm

These capacitors don't "bulge" when they go bad.

Testing each and everyone would be very difficult. It is better to just replace them.

How do you know, well start with what Crash sent and see where that takes you. It mostly hase to do with the date the console was manufactured as the wrong caps where put in.

The best way I have found is to send each board in to a qualified person and have then do it. There are many to do.

Hope that helps
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Just to let you know that on a couple of occasions I have experienced what you have and it wasn't the caps, it was the connectors, even though I had just cleaned them.

It's worth cleaning and reseating every connector you can get to also in the CPU!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Absolutely Phil!

The connectors do cause most of the issues I have experienced as well. Keeping them clean always helps.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:45 am

Bruce,

Just to prove a point...I spoke to soon about this problem as two days ago, after about ten minutes, the vu's froze, I had to re-boot, back to normal but again after another few minutes, the same thing, another re-boot and then no vu's showing. A quick connector clean and reseat and everything is fixed.

This is becoming an issue as it's a pain in the butt, not just the reseating but the cable dis/re-connecting at the back.

This always seems to fix the problem but what I don't understand is that all the connections are intact and have not moved so why is there a dis-connection...now, the only connectors that can actually "move" are the clear plastic power ones, I'm wondering if they should be held more tightly in place?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Hey Phil;

It has been my experience (and not so much with MY d8b) that as electronic devices warm up, and cool down, connections expand and contract with the temperature (physics is evil), I have had connectors and Integrated Chips (IC's for us old guys) loosen to the point of no contact.

I generally have to open and re-seat known problem components on a regular basis. Mostly in very heat heat generating, tightly packed devices like some reverb units (my Lexicon 300 and Yamaha Rev1), my CD recorder (HHB830) and several of my tower type computers. This helps to maintain connection and ensure they work (for the most part).

One of my d8b's came with electronic safe silicon keeping each connector in place. I have never had to remove those ones to re-seat the connector, but.... I have also not had to send any of the internal boards out for service. (Now that I have put that in writing I'll be doing that very thing!).

You could look at using this silicon as a method of "keeping things in place". The correct type to use is in this forum some place. Do not use you "off the shelf" silicon. It has nasty chemicals which will end the life of you console.

There is no sure fire way around this issue as the d8b is very cheaply made (great console for it's day but with a 5 year life design plan, hence the cheap connectors).

Just some thoughts and experiences.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks Bruce, yes I know about the safe silicon, can't remember the product number though.

Surely, the connectors won't move with heat after only ten minutes?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum