Change font size   Print view

Problem with Headphone mixes through AUX.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Problem with Headphone mixes through AUX.

Postby Zarampoukas » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello there.

I try to send the channels through the Auxes via Pre (not Post) for 8 headphones. My problem is, there is no signal coming out to the auxes. Only when i move the aux fader from the master up. But this makes no sense to me. I have to record a small band in december. Can someone give me a hint what i am doing wrong. I read the manual, but there is nothing inside helping me.
Zarampoukas

Re: Problem with Headphone mixes through AUX.

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:17 am

Hi Zarampoukas;

If you could provide some more detail I'll see if I can help.

1- What Version of OS are you using? (1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 5.0 or 5.1). Reason I ask is selecting "Pre" is different depending on Version.
2- There is no Aux Fader. All Aux's are on "V" Pots including the master for each Aux. Do mean to say that until you bring up the Channel (or Return fader), there is nothing on the aux? Let us know.

The I do headphones is to use Aux 9/10 or 11/12. This gives me 2 Stereo aux's which is pretty much what I need to record most band. There is lots of info in the d8b manual regarding that. If you need assistance with that I can find it and give you page numbers. Keep in mind I need to know what version of OS you are using. Using this method also keeps 8 aux's as EFX sends.

I know this doesn't answer your questions but hopefully it is a start.

Cheers and post back.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Zarampoukas » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Hi Bruce.

Thanks for quick response. The OS is 3.0.
Sorry for speak out fader. I mean the V-pots / Rotarys.
Well, i mean, i i turn the master rotary up, i hear the signals through the master-aux on the headphone. For example:

AUX 1-8 on the back is stripped into a begringer ha8000, there i can route the heaphones to 8 seperate headphonemixes.

Select Aux 3 (for example headphone guitarist)
Channel 1 = kick
Channel 1 = channel fader down/zero
Channel 1 aux 3 (pre/yellow in the Software) = 100%
No sound is coming out on Aux 3.
Only when i pull the aux vpot and the channel fader up. But then i only can hear the Master channel on aux 3 headphone, not the individual channels, in this case only channel 1 kick.
I dont use aux9/10 and 11/12 for the headphones.
I just want to route individual channels to individual auxes.

Thanks bruce
Zarampoukas

Postby Old School » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi,
I understand what you are talking about. It sounds like your D8B aux's are stuck in the post fader mode which means the fader will control the output. The aux's and bus outs have always been problematic on my D8B's. Perhaps a fresh reload of the OS will clear up your problem? Just a suggestion.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:58 pm

Have you gone into set up to flip the auxes to prefader? I think it is in mix set up. The console boots up normally with the (start up file) with auxes 1-8 in post fader and 9/10 and 11/12 in pre fader.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Zarampoukas » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:37 pm

@ Crash: Yes. All are Pre. I checked it twice.
@ Oldschool: i will try this after i call the service line. Cause this is very strange behavior i couldn't solve.
i will give here a feedback if i know whats the problem is.
Zarampoukas

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Hey Zarampoukas;

How are you making out with this?

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Zarampoukas » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:35 pm

I will Upload a video tonight to show you what i am doing, ok..?
Zarampoukas

Postby Zarampoukas » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:41 pm

Here is a small video (sorry for my spoken words, i did not any excercise) i want to show you what my problem is. Maybe someone can give me a hint to solve this problem or maybe i dont undesrtand the console enough. :roll:
Zarampoukas

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:54 am

Hey Zarampoukas;

You have it! Let me explain.

When you select Aux 7 in the "Aux Master" section, you are "instructing" the console that all of the "V-Pots" on all of the channels (Bank 1 and Bank 2) are volume controls to Aux 7. In this way you can create a mix of all the channels to Aux 7. The last part is the Master V-Pot, in the Aux Master section, is the final level control for Aux 7. If it is not turned up then no audio will leave the Aux 7 connector on the back of the console.

This applies to all of the Aux's. They all work the same way.

Edit,
After reading your post again, I see you only want to send 1 channel to 1 pair of headphones. If you bring up the Master fader and only the V-pot on 1 channel, you will only hear that on 1 aux. Which is acheiving what you asked for but I am not sure it is what you will need.

The way I look at it is, if we are talking about the drummer, they will want to hear more than his kick drum in his headphones. So, you would bring up the other V-pots for the channel with the snare, the high-hat, the toms and the cymbals channels. Thus creating a mix, so they can hear the entire kit as well. If they want some guitar you would bring up the v-pot of the guitar channel, on aux 7, so they can hear the guitar as well. Does this make sense?

I hope that helps!

I still question sending headphones mixes in this manner but then I am not 100% sure of what your entire setup is, or how it is you are recording.

Post back.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum