Change font size   Print view

SP3 Memory Extraction Error

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: SP3 Memory Extraction Error

Postby leaddog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Mike, I hadn't tried that yet because I successfully used that drive to install V5.1 in the first place. I had also made disks on multiple drives with no change.

Having said that, nothing has worked so far to get SP3 installed so I might as well give that a try. Thanks for that suggestion.

@Phil, the above covers you input also.

I certainly appreciate both you guys playing the d8b "game" with me.

Will try the drive swap tonight.

Thanks, Rex
leaddog

Postby leaddog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:46 am

Well crud! I pulled the very drive I created the floppies on from my desktop. I put it in the d8b CPU. Same result.
leaddog

Postby Phil.c » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 pm

It's got to be the extraction?

Open your "properties" on Disk 1, 2, and 3 just to check.

I have:-

PLUG_SP3_1

1.03 MB (1,090,006 bytes)

File version 6.10.0.6100

PLUG_SP3_2

1.49 MB (1,568,043 bytes

PLUG_SP3_3

0.99MB 1.044,200 bytes
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby leaddog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Will do Phil after I get off work. Sounds like something to check.

Thanks
leaddog

Postby leaddog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:58 am

Hi Phil,

Those match EXACTLY the files on my hard drive used to create the floppies. When you click on those on the computer it will create a floppy to be used in the installation process.

To be clear those are NOT the files on the floppies.

But all that info matches.

So now I am thinking maybe the cmos setup in the d8b database is not correct for the compact flash I am using or somehow I have bad ram or something, even though I have tried 3 sticks & V5.1 runs fine best I can tell. And I was able to install V5.1 from floppies. This makes no sense. (Yet)

Appreciate all the suggestions. I tried margaritas tonight. Maybe I will go try again.

Nope margaritas didn't fix it but I am still smiling. ;)
leaddog

Postby leaddog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am

Here is what else I tried tonight.

1. I just noticed that the "Replacing the HDD with a Compact Flash card" article in the database mentions that the 8GB sandisk card they had did NOT work but an older slower one did. DOH! I had that same 8GB sandisk card. Hey wait a minute. It installed the OS just fine. OK I put the image on a 4GB Kingston compact fash that came with the d8b. Same problem Memory extraction error when I tried to upgrade to SP3.

Fine...

2. Then I got to wondering.... can you install SP3 AFTER V5.1 OS is installed? That is what I am trying to do.
So does SP3 need to be installed on VERSION 3 OS and THEN and ONLY THEN upgrade to V 5.1?

So do I need to roll back to V3.0 and then install SP4 and THEN install V5.1?

Anybody got the answer to that one?
leaddog

Postby FrankH » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 am

Rex:

I just read through this entire thread and I have to ask: With the cf card that you installed the cracked version of v5.1 on, can you boot the console right now? Does it have v5.1 running properly? Are the MFX and UFX cards working? If so, count your blessings.

Is the whole of this thread based on your not being able to get at a couple of the plugins via service pack 3?

Do I have this right? See, the thing is, I don't remember ever having to run Service Pack 3 after installing 5.1.

What plugins are you missing?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:43 am

Frank, perhaps Service Pack 3 was already loaded with v3? As I also didn't have to reload it when going to v5.1

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby leaddog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Yes V5.1 is installed & cracked. Works fine. In fact I have TWO compact flashes working exactly the same.

I will have to look at the list when I get home but some plug-ins on the cracked list did not even show up in the list. Some would not unlock while others did. I made an *ASSUMPTION* That the reason plug-ins were missing is because I didn't have SP3 installed.

I have 2 MFX & 2 UFX cards installed. So I *thought* I should be able to at least SEE if not unlock any plug-ins in the Crack list.

I will add the list of missing & plug-ins that won't unlock tonight.

Sorry to be a pain...just trying to get this as good as I can while I have it spread across the table. I have replaced sticky faders, a noisy power supply & processor fan so far.

Thanks, Rex
leaddog

Postby Petersueco » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:09 am

Hello Rex.

What Windows version are you running on the computer you're using to self-extract the disks?

The WinImage Self Extractor utility that runs the disk extraction processes is dated on 2002. It's a very old piece of software and probably should be executed using WindowsXP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode on modern Windows systems.

I would try this (Please note that I'm on Windows7):

- Extract the 3 files from the downloaded ZIP file.

- Right-click on the first ext file PLUG_SP3_1.exe and click the Compatibility tab.

- Set the compatibility mode to WindowsXP Service Pack 3 and Apply. Repeat for all three files.

- Make a new set of disks and install.

Let me know how it goes.

Peter.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum