Change font size   Print view

meters freezing downtime

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

meters freezing downtime

Postby Carlo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Dear All,

Im having too many meter freezing issues. I open the d8b reconnect the power ribbon cables and will work for circa 2 weeks then all happens again. Too many downtimes. Do you recommend soldering the power ribbon cables onto the distribution unit side only?

frustrated...... :x
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: meters freezing downtime

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 am

Hey Carlo;

Our babies and gett'n old!

Have you replaced the power ribbon cable(s)?

Is it possible to replace the pins, or replace the PC boards(?) Not sure how many or what the cost would be.

I would consider these prior to soldering! Soldering can be so final! Hard to undue.

Just some thoughts.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 am

Hi Bruce,

I have an extra set of cables. I will check it out. I know its final when you solder but at least one can solder only the distribution unit part and leave the PCB's part untouched at least. This reduces the problem by 50%. I'm always at the mercy of this hitch. When it happens i'm stuck and if it happens in the middle of a recording ...then i have to explain to the clients that its a stupid thing nothing to worry about :oops: .... then i have to make up for the downtime. One client told me to solder once and for all.

Im not sure if the silicon or a hot glue spot on the plastic casing will do the job. Soldering is more 100%.

Thanks for your help Graham

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:08 am

Copied from the thread "Not starting when warm".

Phil.c wrote:My problem with the re-occuring VU freeze after a few minutes to an hour or so is now sorted.

I got a bit frustrated and even changed the power supply but it still acted the same way.

The cure:-

After a period of time, in these cases many years, the ribbon cable can oxodise on the connector spikes, especially when there have been many reseats.

This time when I did a reseat, I run my thumbnail between the ribbon and the connector to gently lift the wire off the spikes, I then clamped it down hard with a pliers, it has now run for eight hours without any problems, before, I was luck if it run eight minutes.

Worth a try guys ;)

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Interesting Phil.c I will try it out bro.

Thanks

Carlo
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vert360 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:11 pm

I am having the same issue, been dealing with the craziness for 8 years, along with the BFC doing the boom boom thing. Which ribbon cable are you talking about, the one with 4 or 5 pins right?
vert360

Postby Phil.c » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:09 pm

My cure was by doing the procedure with all the ribbon connectors I could get to, the power connectors are different, they are not pressed onto spiked pins.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum