Change font size   Print view

2 Become 1

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: 2 Become 1

Postby badgeronkeys » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:56 am

This is my setup before the most recent issue. Mac is hiden away on the left. d8b is in prime position and very much key to how I work. Yep, it's only been ~2 years but I've grown an affection with this temperamental beast...
Attachments
d8b.JPG
d8b.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 577 times
badgeronkeys

Postby badgeronkeys » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

GOOD NEWS!!!!

With some invaluable help from Bruce, I now have a "new" d8b which is a fully functioning, fully cloned version of the old one (which incidentally is now also working after some careful strain relief of the main cable/connector). All my session files are there, all effects work after entering the cracked autho codes and the sticking fader issue I observed before was remedied by a fader re-cal. What a result!!

The process was a little different to what I intended and I had no immediate means of creating 3.5" bootable discs. The main problem being the HDD format of the intended replacement HDD which was originally done on a windows machine and isn't recognised by BIOS. Seems the windows HDD partitioning screws things up (some good info on this in the Database). So, since both the "old" (v5.1) and "new" (v3.0) HDD's are good and both would boot in their respective CPU's, my route was:

1. Connect old v5.1 HDD to windows laptop and copy entire image (26.8MB)
2. Connect new v3.0 HDD to windows laptop and copy entire image (7.4MB)
3. Delete contents of new v3.0 HDD and replace with old v5.1 disc image to create a "fresh" v5.1 image on the old disc
4. Boot up d8b - v5.1 loaded, autho code prompt (no surprise). Shut down
5. Re-connect "fresh" 5.1 HDD to laptop and replace control.asc file (taken from "Hack 1" from Dropbox download which is easily found in the d8b forum)
6. Power on, enter autho code for "Hack 1" and shut-down again
7. Power on, enter all of the autho codes for FX cards and shut-down again
8. Power on, re-calibrate faders and rejoice in success!!

If anyone wants an image of my 5.1 installation, I'd be more than happy to put it on Dropbox. It includes all my session files which won't be much use to anyone but it's available if required. The nice thing about this approach is the avoidance of floppies or substitute USB bootable OS. At some point in the future, I will have to replace a HDD which unfortunately will necessitate formatting within the CPU but for now, life is good again :)

All the best,
Martin
badgeronkeys

Postby garrett21allen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:44 pm

Glade your back up and running

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum