Change font size   Print view

Ready to work out some bugs...

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Ready to work out some bugs...

Postby IronBone » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 am

So, I've been using my D8B for about 4 yrs now... and ever since I bought it there have been a few quirks that I have just "dealt" with. From day 1, the very first time I turned on, of course error 43... luckily I found a quick workaround by selecting F5 to load old values, then save and exit. Then the board seems to boot up normally and function pretty well. Which brings up question #1- is this a battery issue?
Next, also since the beginning, I have never been able to completely utilize the midi functions. The transport buttons don't work and the only thing I can achieve is to get the time to sync and roll with the DAW... I just recently read on another post that this too could be a battery issue... possible?
On top of all this, and with the occasional ribbon cable issue, I am still running 3.0... I have downloaded the crack to 5.1, but have been slightly apprehensive about doing the upgrade until I have a couple of the other bugs worked out, since it is at least functioning right now.
I have moved this board a few times to and from temporary studio settings and now I have finally finished building a studio at my home, so now the board has a final resting place. I REALLY like the D8B and am fairly partial to the setup that I am currently running, if I could only work through some of these issues, I would be very content.

Thanks in advance to any advice you guys may be able to provide.
On a side note, this forum is 95% the reason I have kept my D8B!
IronBone

Re: Ready to work out some bugs...

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Take these issues on in chuncks. First get the mother board battery replaced. Then load the correct BIOS settings for your processor. There are no "default" settings that go with the d8b. This page has what you are looking for.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html

Once you get the console stable, move onto getting your midi issues sussed out, then tackle the 5.1 OS move. That is how I would do it if I were in your shoes. The database has lots of great info. to help you bounce back.

One unknown is your DAW, there could be issues on that side of the equation as well.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:05 am

I replaced the battery and loaded BIOS settings, I have the old motherboard... the settings didn't quite work, I had to set the boot sequence so that the hd was first instead of floppy, and the "LBA mode" I had to keep ON. But, after doing so, board boots up without error 43, so I'm good with it. Although the pc now makes a strange noise at startup, I think it is the floppy drive trying to engage...but it's working nonetheless.

Next I am going to work on getting the midi issues sorted out. I have the cable, I ordered off ebay quite a while back, so I assume that it is made correctly.

As far as system... I am running Windows 10, with Sonar Platinum and the RME 9652 PCI card.
I am hopeful that it is just some settings that I am missing between the d8b and sonar that are keeping the midi functions from working. Any pointers?
IronBone

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:45 am

IronBone wrote:Next I am going to work on getting the midi issues sorted out. I have the cable, I ordered off ebay quite a while back, so I assume that it is made correctly.

This is not to be assumed. There are some that are incorrectly wired on ebay. Check the database for correct wiring.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 pm

IronBone wrote:I replaced the battery and loaded BIOS settings, I have the old motherboard... the settings didn't quite work, I had to set the boot sequence so that the hd was first instead of floppy, and the "LBA mode" I had to keep ON. But, after doing so, board boots up without error 43, so I'm good with it. Although the pc now makes a strange noise at startup, I think it is the floppy drive trying to engage...but it's working nonetheless.

Next I am going to work on getting the midi issues sorted out. I have the cable, I ordered off ebay quite a while back, so I assume that it is made correctly.

As far as system... I am running Windows 10, with Sonar Platinum and the RME 9652 PCI card.
I am hopeful that it is just some settings that I am missing between the d8b and sonar that are keeping the midi functions from working. Any pointers?

That is weird... but if it is working for you. Not familiar with Sonar so it is plausible that there are settings on that end that are keeping you from getting MMC to work.

See if this thread helps, though it is for a Cubase setup. There is not much to do on the d8b side as I recall. When we tested them on the line, we just looped the mid out back into the rig to see the the jog wheel was working correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=389
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:33 am

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to check the breakout cable that I have to make sure it meets the specs in the database.. and although I am not running Cubase, it is interesting to see that there really isn't much to do on the d8b side as far as settings... I am hopeful that I can start getting some midi functioning and possibly move on to updating the OS.
IronBone

Postby FrankH » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:07 am

Keep in mind that it's MTC you want to transmit out from the DAW to the D8B so it will track the DAWs location. Then it's setting the DAW to receive MMC from the D8B, so it knows when to spit out MTC. As stated above, there is virtually nothing to set up on the D8B side of things.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:48 am

So... it seems as though I have fixed the midi issue, I just needed to find the appropriate controller settings in sonar which was the generic cakewalk controller setup (even though there are 3 different Mackie controllers in the presets). Then making the software "learn" the different transport functions and then good to go. Thanks for the help and pointers.

I still would like to upgrade the OS to ver. 5.1... does anyone have any suggestions as to weather I should go ahead and do an HD conversion in attempt to quiet the cpu down a bit since I am willing to go as far as to do the crack?
IronBone

Return to d8b Forum