Change font size   Print view

Upgrade Remote CPU and Video Card

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Upgrade Remote CPU and Video Card

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Has anyone tried successfully to build a new Remote CPU with updated motherboard, RAM, peripherals?? If not, is it possible to at least update the video card that is currently in the CPU to get better resolution for today's monitors?

Now that we have a cracked 5.1, I dream of building a whole new CPU, a lot quieter and a lot smaller. I think the way to do this is to separate the console power supply from the CPU itself and have it in a separate box.

Thanks

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Upgrade Remote CPU and Video Card

Postby Old School » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi,
I would love to see this done. The problem is the OS wants to see a certain video card or the system won't boot(system error 43). Maybe somebody out there has the tools to create a motherboard that emulates the Radeon 7000 series video card at boot up. Other than rewriting that part of the OS, it's a no-go.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Bummer!! Thanks for the information Mike. I wish all of the people who originally developed the software for 5.1 would come together and rewrite it so we did not have so many problems today. What is interesting about that is that should be a BIOS setting or hardware setting, not tied to the Software OS. But, as you mention, 5.1 is the operating system.

Now here is a thought that would make life wonderful. Deep six the entire CPU unit and make a smaller power supply for the console and hook up to a MAC and run a dedicated 5.1 software on the MAC to make it all work. Complete with multiple monitor capability so your mix window can be on one monitor and your plugins and FAT channel can be on another. Better yet, how about a dedicated monitor for each d8b layer!!

You have a blessed day in Christ as well

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:16 pm

I've got other video cards to work just fine on the HDR....

Will have to dig in my pile and see what will work with the d8b.
phantomrage

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Many thanks;

That would be great. Thanks so much. I wish someone would rewrite the entire OS to be a program that runs under Windows or MAC OS. Then all you need is to get the console data cable to the computer and get power to the console. say goodbye to hard drive and flash drives.

RJ
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:08 am

Looking at my cards, they are all based on the Radeon 7000 chipset, tho they are not true Radeon. But lots of the 7000 video cards are still out there for cheap.
phantomrage

Postby arjepsen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:10 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:Many thanks;

That would be great. Thanks so much. I wish someone would rewrite the entire OS to be a program that runs under Windows or MAC OS. Then all you need is to get the console data cable to the computer and get power to the console. say goodbye to hard drive and flash drives.

RJ

Actually Munkustrap thought this over some time ago, and wrote that he might dive into hacking the os, so it could run on other hardware.
I don't know if he ever got started on it though.....?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 pm

yes I had a look to that. But this is not possible as there is too much Hardware not only graphics (Serial, MIDI, LAN)
I also had the thought to maybe rewrite the Software, but the main Problem would be the Pliugins (with the surface on the Screen to control it).
I think the "easiest" way is to set this up on a virtual machine, but anyway this is for sure still very tricky :cry:
munkustrap

Postby phantomrage » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:02 am

Has anyone even tried? I got it to work half ass on a 2.5 ghz modern computer. Booted from a USB drive..

The CPU speed was stupid fast for what it originally was built for. So even a slight touch cause it go nuts and lock up...

I have a feeling way to much thought is going into this. I found 3 brands of video cards that work just fine in both the HDR and d8b...

Nothings going to update the look, feel, software, or performance. Thats set unless we find a programmer.

But CPU wise? I have a feeling that it's not as big a issue.. Funny, because the HDR boots a windows 2000 kernel.
phantomrage

Return to d8b Forum