Change font size   Print view

Intermittent Start-up problems

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Intermittent Start-up problems

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

My d8b exhibits a problem intermittently now for the last 1-2 years. I originally thought this problem could be traced to the VFD not coming on at startup right away but now I wonder if the problem is something else.
If the unit is powered on and the VFD lights immediately, then the console goes through its process and boots up successfully. If the VFD does not light immediately or at all, then when the d8b finishes booting it immediately requests the Authorization code for 5.1 or does not boot at all. I was ready to replace either the VFD display or the big fat black capacitors thinking the d8b was not retaining a charge in those capacitors to start the VFD immediately on startup. After reading the database about card problems and reseating the cages in the cage box and ribbon connectors I am wondering if the problem is really with the effects and clock cards not seating well because the VFD displays the status of the effects cards on boot up. Does this sound reasonable to anyone?

Thanks

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Intermittent Start-up problems

Postby Crash » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:50 pm

I don't think your VFD or the capacitors you mention are at fault. Once a cap goes, it usually goes, they don't tend to be intermittent in my experience. I would be tempted to look over the three power ribbon cables that come of the distribution board. These can go wonky and cause weird issues. They are fairly easy to find as they look nothing like the other ribbon cables in the console. If you have a way to measure voltage on the big ass connector, do it next time it boots funny. There is a diagram of the pins and the associated voltages. This may help you narrow it down and help you further down the road.

Another thing I might consider is RAM. Bad RAM is another area for odd behavior.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks. I will look at these. Curious question though, what would RAM have to do with the time it takes for the Vacuum display to come alive?

In any case, thanks for the suggestion and I will look at the connectors. I bet the trouble is there. I bought a spare Vacuum display just in case.

Ha ha

Cheers
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Believe it or not, the VFD is really difficult to get at, as it is one of the very first things installed during assembly of the console. You don't want to go there if you can at all help it.

I have seen bad RAM do all kinds of weird stuff. Not saying that is your issue, but if it keeps the console from booting correctly, it may interrupt the boot up before the VFD gets to a point that it lights up, if that makes sense.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:19 am

Thanks. My dad was an MSEE. I learned how to solder when I was 4. So if I have to, I will take a crack at it. Thanks.
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum