Change font size   Print view

5.1 OS Includes Plugins?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

5.1 OS Includes Plugins?

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 am

Okay time for another stupid question so please forgive me upfront. I have purchased all the parts and getting ready to swap out my hard drive for a CF. Are all the plugins that were made for the D8B included with the 5.1 OS and Service Pack three and you just unlock them with the authorization codes once the OS is installed? Or do you have to download separate files for each of the plugins and place on the hard drive and then unlock them?

Thanks

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: 5.1 OS Includes Plugins?

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:04 am

RJH_MUSIC wrote:Okay time for another stupid question so please forgive me upfront. I have purchased all the parts and getting ready to swap out my hard drive for a CF. Are all the plugins that were made for the D8B included with the 5.1 OS and Service Pack three and you just unlock them with the authorization codes once the OS is installed? Or do you have to download separate files for each of the plugins and place on the hard drive and then unlock them?

Thanks

RJ

Install the OS per the instructions, then reboot and install the Service Pack in that order. Then boot up again, authorize the plugins and (rinse/repeat) reboot yet again and you should be Golden... :ugeek:

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 am

Hey RJ;

The plug-ins are after market cards that you purchase and install in you d8B on the back. There are 4 slots which will accept 4 cards. There are only 2 card availble. an MFX and a UFX. Each contain different processors.

It is best to purchase at least 2 MFX cards as one of the effects requires 2 cards to make it work.

Each card will list what it contains in the "Plug-in" window on the monitor.

The cards should be install in this fashion MFX (slot 1), UFX (slot 2), MFX (Slot 3), (UFX Slot 4).

Once installed the aux sends can be assigned as send to the auxes, or the d8b defaults can be used. The returns from the effects are on fader Bank 3 the "EFX RTN" level.

Most of the EFX's are very useful. The manuals can be down loaded from the Mackie website I think. If not I can send them to you as PDF's.

Are you using the Hack?

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:25 am

Thank you. So if i already have 2 MFX and 2 UFX cards and all the authorization codes, 5.1 OS and Service Pack 3, then there are no other software files I need?

Thanks

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 am

Good question on the hack. Let me explain. I have one working d8b and matching CPU with all the authorization codes with 2 UFX and 2 MFX Cards installed. I just purchased another d8b and matching CPU but it is running 3.0 software instead of 5.1

My original d8b has original Hard drive in it and i have never disturbed it or cloned it or backed it up. It is running 5.1 with service pack 3 but i do not have the original install disks, so I did not dare touch it when i found out that Mackie could not generate auth codes any longer. I know i am playing with fire since i never backed it up, but i feel much better now that there is the hack.

So i am going to start by replacing the Hard drive that is running 3.0 with a CF and load 5.1 with service pack 3 and use the hack to use my own original ESN with auth codes for all my plugins and see if that works. If it does, i will backup my original hard drive and repeat the process on my original d8b. If that is successful, I will clone the original to another CF card for the second d8b. hopefully when it is all done, i will have 2 d8b's running 5.1 service pack 3 with all the plugins on each running.

RJ
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:52 am

Hey RJ;

Sounds like a plan. It sounds like you are going alter the "hacked/cracked" file and insert you ESN, which if you can do that than "good on you mate". I have looked at the code for the hacked file and am unable to figure it out just yet. More time, more learning.

If you have access to a 3 1/2" floppy drive, the 5.1 install files are in the Data Base of this forum. If you don't then cloning may be the way to go. I haven't gone that direction yet but I'm sure I will have to some day as the source for working floppies goes away.

There doesn't seem to be any other software you need. You should be good to go!

If you do need floppies of 5.1 and Service Pack 3, I can send them if you need.

It sounds like your going the correct direction so good luck!
Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:19 pm

The below was posted by munkustrap last year. In the control.asc file you open up with a text editor and look for the two numbers immediately proceeding an "AZ". In the example below, there are 12 instances. Your ESN # is 12 digits. You need to look up in Google the following term to get a conversion table, "ASCII to HEX Conversion Table". Match your ESN # to the corresponding ASCII Hex conversion, and replace each reference in the control.asc file. Once you have done this, and inserted the file to its proper place on the hard drive, the boot process will see your actual ESN# and you should be good with any plugins you already have. if you do not have authorization codes of your own for the plugins, then you have to use the ESN and matching auth codes that were posted on dropbox.

I will let you know how it goes. I do not have time this weekend so maybe the following weekend I will give it a go.

RJ

Post by munkustrap » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:56 am

hack your own ESN into the control.asc

search in the control.asc (the hacked one) the following lines:

ZZZ40030AZ1D5EEFZ40030AZ1D5F7FZ40030AZ1D5F7FZ40030
AZ1D5F7FZ806AC0Z1D8F5FZZZ40030AZ1D5F7FZ40031AZ1D5F7FZ40045AZ1D5F7FZ40036
AZ1D5F7FZ806AB0Z1D8F5FZZZ40035AZ1D5F7FZ40032AZ1D5F7FZ40038AZ1D5F7FZ40038AZ

exchange the bold numbers with the ASCII hex of your ESN that you want to program
in this case 0000 01E6 5288
30 = "0"
31 = "1"
45 = "E"munkustrap

Private message
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm

If I really had my fathers brains, (BSEER, MSEE, PH.d electronics) I would be able to completely rewrite the OS and build a totally new CPU unit about half the size, with current day drives and specifications. How about OS 6.5! how does that sound? How about a display driver that sup-ports HDMI at around 1920 x 1200 resolution and multiple displays so your mix window can be visible at the same time as your Fat Channel window. Better yet, there is plenty of room in the console itself, so I would mount the CF card and motherboard and all the peripherals right in the console in s shielded area, which would eliminate the data cable completely and just build a separate power supply for the BFC. Again a lot smaller. It is nice to dream. I wish the old developers of the d8b would come to the table and take this project on.

RJ
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:If you have access to a 3 1/2" floppy drive, the 5.1 install files are in the Data Base of this forum. If you don't then cloning may be the way to go. I haven't gone that direction yet but I'm sure I will have to some day as the source for working floppies goes away.

If you do need floppies of 5.1 and Service Pack 3, I can send them if you need.

Hey Boyz... get ya one of these (for any D8B or HDR you own) :

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIV0S64XC0077&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Hard+Drive-_-9SIV0S64XC0077&gclid=Cj0KEQiA56_FBRDYpqGa2p_e1MgBEiQAVEZ6-xrhFIOZRgByoi0hxUvkc5bqgh4Zr8XpqKyyp-DKq4AaAmeP8P8HAQ

I got two off eBay (from overseas) and downloaded & used this software from a German outfit [Ipcas GmbH] :

http://www.ipcas.com/products/usb-floppy-emulator-fdd-to-udd.html

Then just use the latest version of WinImage and follow the instructions for creating floppies - if you need assistance creating the USB 'floppy' library, just post here, however it's really easy to do. I've got two of them and my desk & recorder are STABLE pieces of gear. As long as I don't do any moving stuff around, the way it's situated I don't even have to fuck around with the BFC or DB25 comm cables... but I digress. Back to the point of all this, just get these emulators for your gear. You'll thank yourself down the road if you EVER have to reinstall the OS or do any sort of floppy access. Your gear will also be up-to-date as things can currently be regarding the installation hardware...:ugeek:

Of course, you knew it was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:If I really had my fathers brains, (BSEER, MSEE, PH.d electronics) I would be able to completely rewrite the OS and build a totally new CPU unit about half the size, with current day drives and specifications. How about OS 6.5! how does that sound? How about a display driver that sup-ports HDMI at around 1920 x 1200 resolution and multiple displays so your mix window can be visible at the same time as your Fat Channel window. Better yet, there is plenty of room in the console itself, so I would mount the CF card and motherboard and all the peripherals right in the console in s shielded area, which would eliminate the data cable completely and just build a separate power supply for the BFC. Again a lot smaller. It is nice to dream. I wish the old developers of the d8b would come to the table and take this project on.

RJ

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1817&p=13769#p13769

As for the old developers, Peter Watts now lives over seas I believe and Bob Tudor was last with Presonus before he passed away from cancer a few years ago. Bob also had his hand in the development of the Tascam X48 with his company Sanewave before his stint with Presonus. There were others involved in the d8b but it is an old technology at this point and with all of the "controllers" about, a digital console for the studio is sort of out of step with a lot of the current way people record these days. I would love to see an updated version of the d8b, maybe a digital mixer will come back into vogue at some point but I don't see it as of now.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum