Change font size   Print view

d8b floppies needed

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: d8b floppies needed

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 04, 2017 1:05 am

Hi Pat and phantomrage;

So... the new floppies although they installed did not solve my problem.

I took Mike's advice and remove first the MIDI card, reboot, no good, then the Network card, reboot, no good, then I re-seated all the connectors and card in sight and... first time no good, second time "all was right in the world", sort of.
The transport control worked from the HDR but not the console.

What happen, when I removed the the MIDI card to re-seat it, I found a jumper (position 8 I believe) on the "Address" pins, had only connected on one side. I joined it to the opposite side. When I found that the HDR was working but the Midi wasn't I remove the pin from one side of the jumper, and the transport on the d8b worked.

I do not know what I did that was different than everything else I did but for the moment, things are working.

More to come I'm sure.

Thanks for your concerns.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 am

What is the d8b service pack 3? Is that the one with all the plugins? If so, I have that one. If not??..
phantomrage

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 04, 2017 11:14 pm

I believe that is correct. SP3 is the plug-ins.

I can't remember if SP3 is included in the 5.1 disks? I know I needed SP3 for the 3.0 OS.

I think I used SP3 when I installed 5.1, but was informed that I didn't need them (I think).

Either way, you can always install SP3 if the Plug-in's are there after loading 5.1.

Cheers
bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Bruce:

I opened one of my HDR's to check this for you. The left pin header is for interrupt (IRQ) setting, and 10 should be jumpered. On the address header, numbers 3 and 6 should be jumpered, but not number 8. They leave the DIP shunt in there but not connected, in case the application calls for a different address.

After everything you have gone through, my best guess is pulling and reseating the cards is what it really needed.

Hope it serves you well.

On the other topic, the HDR doesn't need a service pack, but the d8b does. V5.1 is a (3) disk set, SP-3 contains all the upgraded plug ins and is also a (3) disk set. V3.0 is a (2) disk set, with Patch files on (1) disk, and a (3) disk service pack SP-2, just for v3.0.

At least, that's they way I understand it.
Dreamsequence

Postby phantomrage » Sat May 06, 2017 1:14 am

What I thought as well on SP3 just wasn't 100% sure. Unless i crack it, i can't use all the plugins. My 5.0 system didn't need a new key, since 5.1 was free if you had 5.0.
phantomrage

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat May 06, 2017 5:06 am

Hey lads;

Thanks for the update and correction re SP3. I'll try to file it for future use.

HDR is back up and working. I removed cards and re-seated things and it is working as it use to.

Thanks Pat for checking your HDR. Not an quick task removing all those screws etc. Much appreciated.

A big thanks to all whom helped out.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Sat May 06, 2017 5:14 am

Phantomrage:

The 5.1 hack works great. If you know your way around DOS, I posted a way to change the command.com file from a bootable floppy. No need to FTP in. That's the way I changed mine.
Dreamsequence

Postby phantomrage » Sat May 06, 2017 8:20 pm

I have not gotten around to the hack yet due to being lazy. My d8b has the stock hard drive and i am going to do the ide to sd card like in my mdr and hdr. Just been to lazy to pull it and open the case.
phantomrage

Previous

Return to d8b Forum