Change font size   Print view

So...how we gonna do this?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: So...how we gonna do this?

Postby Mike Rivers » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:47 pm

I suppose I'm going to stick with the Mackie forum until and if something happens to it. Otherwise I'll answer the same question to the same person on both forums, but probably not with the same answer. ;)

By the way, can we get an option greater than 1 but less than 7 for the number of days' posts are displayed? Or is that one of the decisions that the software has already made for you? Although I check in every day on the Mackie forum unless i'm incommunicado, I'm pretty sure I have it set do show posts from the last 2 days. It helps me to keep coherent.

Anyway, it's good that the gang's starting to be all here.

hmmmm . . .hope I don't have to wait this long all the time for my message to post.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:29 pm

Peter,

I think you should disable the "upload attachment" facility. I don't know how much disc space you have with the server but that could chew up a lot of it. Also, people could just use it as a way to host stuff. Just another thing you'd have to monitor.

A friendly thought.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 am

The old forum is dead to me. I gave up on Mackie long ago with the d8b so I`m kind of glad to part from there.
Be The Change You Seek In The World
Ernest Buckley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 am

Mike Rivers wrote:hmmmm . . .hope I don't have to wait this long all the time for my message to post.

Thats because you`re using a phone line to connect! Accept technology Mike. :twisted:
Ernest Buckley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 am

Ernest Buckley wrote:The old forum is dead to me. I gave up on Mackie long ago with the d8b so I`m kind of glad to part from there.

Then why do you still post there? We'd like to keep this d8b positive... if it's alright with you, of course. :D
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 am

I posted on the Mackie site because of the conversations, no other reason. And I always tried to keep my rantings with their treatment of the d8b respectable so...

I`m not into banging Mackie down, I still own some of their gear but I did not like the treatment. Nor do I think anyone else did.
Ernest Buckley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:55 am

We all wish for more. It was technology that improved after the d8b's introduction. To this day, the d8b still represents an amazing achievement. If you go for some new, late model converters, it still is amazing. It's wonderful that you can do that. Actually, I don't think the original converters are that bad. As a control surface via MIDI mapping, it's beyond peer. The automation is sensational. We're talking 10 years here. They gave us V 5 and the thing came out of its shell. If the components hang out, 20 years is possible. Mine is pristine and I believe it could last and serve me in some fashion or other for that long. Sure, there are computer/OS type issues but there are workarounds for the vast majority of them. Show me a computer or OS that doesn't have a few glitches. I do hope, if the black thing is a new mixer, they don't mess with the automation too much. If you can't make a hit or beautiful sounding music on a d8b, you can't do it on anything. I don't think Mackie treated us badly. I actually think they're more accessible than most other corporates. They have a business to run and all things must pass. I'm just gonna make my d8b pass a little slower than some. I believe, as I've said before, the d8b may have been too successful for the company's good.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:23 am

You make excellent points Pete. I`m just wondering about the last thing... how was the d8bs success a "bad" thing for Mackie?
Ernest Buckley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Ernest, what I meant by that was, the d8b outlasted Mackie's projected life span and perhaps hindered the sales of other later offerings, particularly the dXb and perhaps even the box offerings like the 1200F etc. or even the MCUs. This, of course, is speculation on my part but if the new thing is a mixer or control surface or a combo, I think they'd like the d8b to just fade away, hence the mooted demise of the other forum. It's still there 'though so, who knows?

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:29 pm

anyhorizon wrote:Peter,

I think you should disable the "upload attachment" facility. I don't know how much disc space you have with the server but that could chew up a lot of it. Also, people could just use it as a way to host stuff. Just another thing you'd have to monitor.

A friendly thought.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I have 250GB reserved for the forum. I think that is enough for the attachment function to work. But you are right about that I have to watch it. I will leave it on for the moment, but if I see that people abuse it then it will be disabled.

BTW that Jack Schitt video is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh :lol:

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum