Change font size   Print view

Keith Olsen Presets

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Keith Olsen Presets

Postby julianbre » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 am

I know this is a strange request, but could somebody that owns a D8B do a screen capture of the Keith Olsen eq and compressor preset settings. I know presets can be pretty useless but I just want to see what he was thinking when dialing up sounds.

The presets are still available through the wayback machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010203174 ... resets.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20010203174 ... Series.zip
Just right click and open in new tab and it should download them.

Thanks, I will owe you a beer! Or two!
julianbre

Re: Keith Olsen Presets

Postby julianbre » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:32 am

Doesn't seem like anybody else is interested in what Keith was doing so I'll try another way.
Is there anyway to boot up the software without owning a d8b or is there a proprietary chip on the pc board it's looking for?
All I want to do is load it long enough to copy the presets. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
julianbre

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 am

There is a serial number chip. I remember wading through the schematics and finding it. I'm sure it could be cloned but such a lot of work to insert it in the right scheme of things.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Crash » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:39 pm

julianbre wrote:Doesn't seem like anybody else is interested in what Keith was doing so I'll try another way.
Is there anyway to boot up the software without owning a d8b or is there a proprietary chip on the pc board it's looking for?
All I want to do is load it long enough to copy the presets. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

I would have to look to see if I still have those on my rig anywhere. I can't say that I found them of any use on things I had recorded, if I remember correctly. I am sure they sounded fine but not sure how much use those settings would be in the real world. I'll try and see if I can find them sometime this weekend, though I can't promise anything.

Don't know if you saw this:

EQ settings mainly for drums (but there is other stuff, too). It is divided
into mic-specific and mix-specific settings. Keith produced and engineered
Whitesnake and Fleetwood Mac to name a few. It's heavyweight stuff.

It appears these are all EQ settings, I didn't see any mention of compressor settings for the Olsen stuff. I looked through the the various folders and I can't tell what is what in terms of which is an Olsen preset.
Last edited by Crash on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby julianbre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks for the responses! I would have to agree that most "presets" are useless but you can pick up some cool tricks and figure out what they are thinking about when mixing (ex: CLA snare eq). I wouldn't normally eq that extreme but it's a good trick to have.

Crash, if you right click on the zip link in my first post and choose open in new tab, you can download the presets. If not, I can upload them to some place like dropbox.
julianbre

Postby FrankH » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:18 am

julianbre:

Boy, I hate to be the one to burst the bubble here, but Keith had pretty much nothing to do with that set of presets except slapping his name on them. And even worse, they are flawed because they were done using V3 software, which means that whatever was done for the Dynamics section is junk. In V3, the underlying machine code DSP algos were off by a huge factor. They were re-written from scratch for V5...meaning, if you run them in V5, they won't sound anything like they did in V3...particularly the attack and release times. The EQ's have a similar problem but there was a utility in V5 to attemptto make them match in.

That said, Keith barely knew how the D8B operated, so his studio assistant was tasked with figuring it out and he created the "KO" set of presets.

They are basically worthless. You aren't missing anything.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:46 pm

julianbre wrote:Crash, if you right click on the zip link in my first post and choose open in new tab, you can download the presets. If not, I can upload them to some place like dropbox.

I have all of these on my rig, just not sure which ones are which as they are all in the same folder and there were other presets besides the "Olsen" presets.

....and there is what Frank said.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby julianbre » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:39 am

FrankH "They are basically worthless. You aren't missing anything."

Thanks for letting me know. I would have gotten them and been scratching my head thinking "does he really do that?" Haha!
Well, at least I met some other friendly and helpful musicians like yourself, anyhorizon and Crash.

Glad to see the d8b is still alive and kicking. Always thought it was a nice board but ended up going with a Digi ProControl instead.
julianbre

Return to d8b Forum