Change font size   Print view

Info about Argosy 90 Series Desk for D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Info about Argosy 90 Series Desk for D8B

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 am

I just bought a used Argosy 90 Series desk for my two D8Bs (that was advertised as “for Avid C24”, so I lucked out with this - I only thought I’d take a look since the previous owner had a D8B in it).

I learned a few things in the process, that may be helpful to others who are searching for one of these (I’ve been looking for one I could pick up locally for quite some time, that also wasn't breaking the bank):

1. Obviously, the D8B specific versions of Argosy consoles are discontinued, so you can only buy used (...but who’d spend over $3k on a new one to house their 20 year old digital mixer, anyway).

2. The “90 Series” Argosy mainframe is the same for all mixer models, and some 90-Series models are still available new (e.g. for Avid C24).

3. The mixer-model specific parts, are the side panels and “inserts”, such as Rack-Modules, Monitor Bay Modules, etc.. These are inserted into the top of the universal mainframe). There are model-specific parts, because each of the different mixer models, has different sizes and angles. For example, the meter bridge on the D8B tilts backwards by a certain number of degrees. The Rack-Modules/Side-Panels are made to use exactly the same angle, to make the whole thing look like a “unit”. (There’s a possibility that the lids for the bridge, and the armrests are also different on different models… but I’m not sure).

4. This is probably the most important point: I found out from Argosy, that it’s possible to identify by the part number that is stamped onto the back of the Rack-Modules, which mixer model the console was originally made for. There’s two numbers (to identify the left and right side-panels of the Rack-Module), and for the D8B version, they need to say 91041010 (left) and 91042010 (right). And that's what mine said, so it WAS specifically produced for the D8B ("for C24" was false advertisement by the seller, that ended up working out for me!!). So, if you’re looking to buy a used Argosy Console for your D8B, look for these numbers!! (If they’re different, better ask Argosy!!)

5. I also found out from Argosy, that 25 mm (millimeter) wood blocks need to be placed under the rear feet of the D8B, and 19 mm wood blocks should be placed under the front feet of the D8B, to raise the desk(s) to the correct general angle, to match the Rack-Modules, etc. (Those blocks came with new consoles, but weren’t included in mine).

6. Argosy no longer has D8B specific inserts or other D8B specific parts available, but they still sell parts for the mainframe. And that’s a good thing - I needed a replacement for an L-Bracket under the Bridge (mine was cracked), and a few plastic latches and locks for the rear lid. They still had all that, and for a very reasonable price!

7. The Argosy 90 Series desk was/is available in different configurations. Basically, mine has a short part that is as long as one padded armrest. Then there’s a looooong attachment, that is as long as 3 padded armrests (for a total of almost 10 feet, or 3 meters). Argosy makes shorter “extensions” to the mainframe as well. So, an Argosy desk for a single D8B, would likely just have a shorter extension to the right. No matter what, you’ll need a big truck or rent a U-Haul to move one of these - unless you want to completely disassemble it, which seems to be a pain. (I rented a 15 foot U-Haul, just to make sure I can close the rear gate! And this thing is HEAVY!!!! So, I definitely needed the ramp to roll the mainframe back out).

8. Even though this desk was made for the D8B, one of the Argosy-armrests is a bit in the way of where the jog-wheel on one of the D8B protrudes. I think newer Argosy D8B desk models only have a cut-out where that wheel is supposed to go into the armrest - but I guess this limits where exactly you can position the desk. But I got an older version, where the armrests are open everywhere on the mixer-side. However, there are some wood pieces in there for stability, that can be in the way, depending on how you position your D8B(s). I’ll likely modify the plastic on one of my D8Bs, since I have a spare one anyway (but I don’t have any spare Argosy-Armrests). It kinda sucks that the armrests are completely open on the mixer side, though. There was SO MUCH gunk and dirt in there when I got it… disgusting!! Even an old A/C remote fell out, that the previous owner apparently ordered a replacement for, since he could no longer find it, hahaha (also tons of change, pens, and random small items).

9. My version fits two D8Bs and two Rack-Modules like a glove. The Rack-Modules can be placed in any position you like (left/right/middle, etc.). It doesn’t have to be the way I did it in the pictures I’m sharing. (e.g. the previous owner had used it with a single D8B, 1 Rack Module on the left, and two on the right of the D8B (and some odd amount of space that is left over and was left open)).

Some other thoughts:

Argosy were AWESOME!!! They treated me as if I just bought a new Mercedes from them, even though they knew I bought this used and for cheap… and I only ordered a total of $40 of parts (plus shipping). But they were SO helpful!! Sent me the assembly instructions PDF, and the D8B specific sheet, that showed the height of the blocks for under the feet, etc. Really awesome experience with them! :D

Argosy DID have replacement armrests available, which makes me think that those are NOT D8B specific. However, I was only missing a single armrest screw, so they sold that to me instead for $1.50. I do intend to get all the armrests re-upholstered, though, since mine have burn marks and tears, etc. I expect it to be a lot cheaper to get them re-upholstered, than getting all new ones from Argosy. They also said that the vinyl might look a little different on new ones, so, it really only makes sense to get the whole set or none. And that would definitely be too pricey.

I’m sharing some pics below, but nothing’s wired up yet. I just dropped in the desks and a bunch of random rack gear to see how it looks. To be honest, I think my previous setup was more practical. This is a bit of a waste of space, but at least it looks awesome! And strangely, that seems to matter to clients more, than a great functional setup, hahaha. And if I ever inherit a very large boat and need an anchor… well…

Anyway - the main takeaway here is, if you’re in the market for an Argosy desk, insist to look at the back of the Rack Modules and look for the numbers “91041010” and “91041020”. If it's got those numbers, you should be golden! :)

…and I’m gonna have a lot of fun for the coming week or so, wiring everything back up, and finding a good place for all the gear that had to move because of this monstrocity, hahaha
Attachments
Argosy90_D8B.JPG
Front View
Argosy90_D8B.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Argosy90_D8B_side.JPG
Side View
Argosy90_D8B_side.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Argosy90_D8B_sidePanel.JPG
Side Panel
Argosy90_D8B_sidePanel.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Argosy_D8B_PartNumbers.JPG
D8B Part Numbers on back of Rack-Module