Change font size   Print view

mark appears

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: mark appears

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 am

Ha - we're getting closer to the source of the problem! :)

If you replaced the battery, but didn't set the BIOS settings back to where they should be, then that might explain the lack of functioning MIDI.

The settings can be found here:
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/hdr_a ... b_bios.pdf

What did you compare it to, when you determined that the MIDI and Ethernet cards weren't in their right slot? If it still doesn't work with the new settings, then it might be worthwhile to put the cards back to where you found them... just in case that was where they were supposed to be after all.

Again, good luck with all of that! :)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:59 am

I compared with the indications written in the back of the HDR - for each slot is written: midi - ethernet - Alt etc.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:21 am

Ah, makes sense. I didn't remember that's on there.

I looked at the BIOS settings, and for this board, it'a apparently not necessary to reserve specific IRQs for specific card slots. I think the critical setting for this purpose, is probably to have IRQ 10 set to "Legacy ISA"... but of course while you're at it, make sure to set all the other stuff to where it should be.

Hopefully MIDI will work afterwards! :)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 am

I recall a setting the HDR BIOS, the Parallel Port or Printer Port, needs to be Off. This, as I recall, has something to do with MIDI.
I maybe wrong but worth a look.

Best of luck
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks guys, I set the BIOS as indicated.
Now, with HDR master and D8B slave the transport display works and when I press play the counting starts. I just have to prove the opposite, I hope it also works with D8B and HDR slave masters.
I still have to check the setup of the Sample Rate, or if it remains as the septum ... I will let you know.
thank you for your time.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:43 pm

I noticed that when I press play, the transport window on the D8B remains still ... but if I open Midi Monitor everything works properly.
Perhaps because the midi cables are connected to the MIDI interface?
Do the Midi connections of the D8B and HDR not need a midi interface?
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Great to hear that the HDR sends out MIDI now!

You'll have to connect the HDR and D8B to each other again, without the MIDI interface on the computer. The thing with the computer and MIDI interface, was just to figure out which of them had a problem with sending MIDI.

So, D8B MIDI out to HDR MIDI in
AND
HDR MIDI out to D8B MIDI in

If one direction is not connected, it would explain why the HDR would follow the D8B, but not the other way around.

Also, just as a side-note: The Master/Slave thing is word-clock. That's separate from the MIDI thing. So, as long as the MIDI connections are done right, which device is Master and which is slave, shouldn't have any impact on the MIDI setting.

If connecting MIDI bi-directionally between the HDR & D8B gets the transport controls working on both units, then let's take a look at the sample rate issue (and the Master/Slave setup - which is related to the sample rate), next!

...looks like we're slowly getting there though :)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:44 pm

You are fantastic Y-my-R! Now I try.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 pm

ok all right with regards to the Midi, now the transport works and runs with all the commands.
We need to see the sampling rate. As I said on the D8B it always remains at 44.1 KHz and on the HDR it is always at 48 KHz ... I don't understand why.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:47 am

Great! Good to hear that MIDI sync is working!

Now to the sample rates and word clock sync...

I think there's two possible "main" reasons:

1. The word clock cables aren't properly connected between the D8B and HDR, and the devices never locked on to a common clock. So they still boot up with a "default" sample rate, or...

2. The Startup session that exists on the D8B was saved with the 44.1 kHz sample rate, while the Startup session on the HDR was saved with a 48 kHz sample rate (or the other way around).

I think I did see a diagram you drew, that shows a BNC word clock cable going Out of the HDR, which is set as Master, and from there to the BNC word clock IN, on the D8B's Apogee Clock Card (which is supposed to be slave). Just double-checking that the arrows in the diagram represented signal flow. If so, then the wiring is right.

I think the HDR has a "terminate" switch by the word clock connectors (I think to remember that, but can't see the back of mine right now). Might be labeled 75 Ohm or something. If connected exactly as in the diagram, then termination needs to be ON. Also, just making sure that that's what you got. (The Apogee Clock card in the D8B always has the termination on. You'd have to get the card modded to remove termination, so that "switch" is always on)

If that's all like that, and you create a song in the HDR that has the sample rate you want to run the whole system on, and then set your D8B to the same sample rate, then you should be able to lock the D8B to external clock (via the Setup dialog on the D8B... locking to Word Clock coming in from the HDR).

If all of the above is exactly as described, but the D8B still won't lock, then we'll need to drill deeper into the components that don't want to work (possible hardware problem, etc.).

But if you DO get the D8B to lock as described above, and it's just about them always booting up with different sample rates, then you just have to replace your startup session in both devices, with a version that was saved with the sample rate you want.

So, just change the sample rate to what you want it to be, and save and overwrite the exiting "Startup" session. (On both, the HDR and D8B - using the same sample rate).

The startup session is what gets loaded when the devices boot. So, if those have a different sample rate, and you never replaced the startup session, they always boot up with their own/different ones.

Alright, I hope this helps! Let us know how it turns out!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum