Change font size   Print view

Help! I can not activate Phones Outs!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Help! I can not activate Phones Outs!!!

Postby angelotaylor » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 am

Good day, or evening, dear friends!

Please help me. Not so long time ago, I have get my D8Bus... I produce my new project now, and I VERY need raw monitoring from desk with headphones. I discover the forum, but i can not find step by step instruction. When I execute "copy mix to cue" - I have no sound in my headphones. Not in one from two Phone Outputs!
Please help! May be I have incorrect setup my console???
angelotaylor

Re: Help! I can not activate Phones Outs!!!

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:42 am

As mentioned, I don't use the D8B as the center of my studio, so I'm not as familiar with a lot of these kinds of features... but I got curious and looked into how this works... I hope I got it right:

I was confused about what the physical outputs that correspond to "Cue 1" and "Cue 2" even are, that are mentioned in the "Copy Mix to Cue 1/2" print on the desk. I looked in the manual, and this seems to simply refer to Aux 9/10 (Cue 1) and Aux 11/12 (Cue 2).

So, I think this means that you would start by having your Headphone Section 1 (or 2) set to "Control Room", and then build the mix in the way the talent/performer should hear it under headphones.

Then you hit the "Copy Mix to Cue" button.

Then, on the Display, you select "Cue 1." A message will be displayed, that the Level/Pan settings have been copied to Cue 1.

Finally, you just push the "Aux 9/10" button in the Headphone 1 section, and you hear the Cue mix, that is also being sent out via Aux 9/10 over your headphones, when connected to the Headphone Jack 1.

Now you can go back to use the Faders/Pan controls to change your Mix how you want to hear it over the speakers/control room.

The same applies for Headphone Out 2, and Cue 2 (Aux11/12), of course.

I just tried all of this, and it works for me, here.

I actually learned something useful by doing this... setting up cue mixes with the rotary encoders was too much of a pain, IMO (I don't mind using the Aux sends for that on analog desks, but here, with the "shared" rotary encoders, I didn't like it at all), so I only tried once before and abandoned the idea.
Maybe I'll actually use the D8B for setting up Cue mixes now, instead of doing this through my audio interface. I actually like how this is solved on the D8B and find it quite convenient!

Thanks for asking how to do this - figuring it out, taught me a useful lesson/workflow! :)

Hopefully it's helpful for you, too!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:15 am

Y-my-R wrote:As mentioned, I don't use the D8B as the center of my studio, so I'm not as familiar with a lot of these kinds of features... but I got curious and looked into how this works... I hope I got it right:

I was confused about what the physical outputs that correspond to "Cue 1" and "Cue 2" even are, that are mentioned in the "Copy Mix to Cue 1/2" print on the desk. I looked in the manual, and this seems to simply refer to Aux 9/10 (Cue 1) and Aux 11/12 (Cue 2).

So, I think this means that you would start by having your Headphone Section 1 (or 2) set to "Control Room", and then build the mix in the way the talent/performer should hear it under headphones.

Then you hit the "Copy Mix to Cue" button.

Then, on the Display, you select "Cue 1." A message will be displayed, that the Level/Pan settings have been copied to Cue 1.

Finally, you just push the "Aux 9/10" button in the Headphone 1 section, and you hear the Cue mix, that is also being sent out via Aux 9/10 over your headphones, when connected to the Headphone Jack 1.

Now you can go back to use the Faders/Pan controls to change your Mix how you want to hear it over the speakers/control room.

The same applies for Headphone Out 2, and Cue 2 (Aux11/12), of course.

I just tried all of this, and it works for me, here.

I actually learned something useful by doing this... setting up cue mixes with the rotary encoders was too much of a pain, IMO (I don't mind using the Aux sends for that on analog desks, but here, with the "shared" rotary encoders, I didn't like it at all), so I only tried once before and abandoned the idea.
Maybe I'll actually use the D8B for setting up Cue mixes now, instead of doing this through my audio interface. I actually like how this is solved on the D8B and find it quite convenient!

Thanks for asking how to do this - figuring it out, taught me a useful lesson/workflow! :)

Hopefully it's helpful for you, too!

Thank You, I will try, and report here a result!
angelotaylor

Postby angelotaylor » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:09 am

Unfortunately, it is not work for me! Any ideas?
angelotaylor

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:36 am

Hey Angelo;
Could you tell us what uyou are doing line-by-line, in the order you do it please, included where you are connecting the headphone to.
Thanks
Bruce
Enjoyed your music very much. Good job writing, producing and mixing.
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:56 am

Bruce Graham wrote:Hey Angelo;
Could you tell us what uyou are doing line-by-line, in the order you do it please, included where you are connecting the headphone to.
Thanks
Bruce
Enjoyed your music very much. Good job writing, producing and mixing.

Hello, Bruce!

First, I make a mix. When all parts of mix is ready, I make:

Pushing button AUX 9-10 in master section;
Next - pushing button AUX 9-10 in PHONES/CUE MIX 1 section;
Next - pushing button COPY MIX TO CUE;
Next - connect my phones to Phones 1 Out.
Next - trying to increase volume with LEVEL encoder on PHONES/CUE MIX 1 section.
And - silent as a result im my phones.... The same result with second Phones Out 2 and second cue section on the console....

Bruce, this is my last works! Download it here:

Angel of Wind 2

Lonely Angel 2
angelotaylor

Postby Crash » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:40 pm

If this console has been worked on in the past, there is the possibility that the cable that goes from the master section of the board to the dsp card cage is not connected. This was a fairly common thing to happen when someone worked on the console, that they would leave one end disconnected. I use to to know the PCB designators off the top of my head but time and life have made those memories rather fuzzy at this point. If this cable is not connected, you won't get any phones to work.

Found it. Look at "H" on page F-12 of the assemble instructions. The little cable goes to J60 between the DCA and line control board.
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/d8bse ... sembly.pdf
I used to be able to semi-crack the console open and reattach that cable if it was not hooked up.

This could be the issue if nothing else solves it.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:03 am

Crash wrote:If this console has been worked on in the past, there is the possibility that the cable that goes from the master section of the board to the dsp card cage is not connected. This was a fairly common thing to happen when someone worked on the console, that they would leave one end disconnected. I use to to know the PCB designators off the top of my head but time and life have made those memories rather fuzzy at this point. If this cable is not connected, you won't get any phones to work.

Found it. Look at "H" on page F-12 of the assemble instructions. The little cable goes to J60 between the DCA and line control board.
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/d8bse ... sembly.pdf
I used to be able to semi-crack the console open and reattach that cable if it was not hooked up.

This could be the issue if nothing else solves it.

Thank You! I will check this!
angelotaylor

Postby captainamerica » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:17 pm

interesting info Crash !
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum