Change font size   Print view

Sometimes console does not boot, just blinks and pops

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Sometimes console does not boot, just blinks and pops

Postby JoeJoe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi!

Sometimes, especially if the console has been on for a while and I turn it off, and then on again say within 15-30 minutes after it won't start correctly. The Cpu starts ok and the mackie os starts to load, but the console vu-meters blink randomly in a typical "this is not right" pattern about 2 times per second, and there is a synchronous loud popping in the speakers if on.

I'm thinking heat issue and a bad cap somewhere. Has someone heard of this a problem before?

It seems if I let the d8b rest for a while and cool down, it starts up fine again.
JoeJoe

Re: Sometimes console does not boot, just blinks and pops

Postby Jondav1120 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi Joe,

As you suggest, I'd suspect a heat issue...but I'd try pulling and cleaning the ribbon cables within the console, before looking for a bad cap.

Has it ever done it while running, or does this only occur on a warm start?

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby captainamerica » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:52 am

Agree with John ...90% of the time it's the cleaning the ribbon cables or swapping them out. I did that many years ago and haven't had those issues in a long time. Also, make sure BFC is secure -see DATABASE for more info:

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html#Post1

"4. Loose Or Dirty Connections

Many problems have been solved by:

Removing, cleaning and reseating the d25 and huge circular connectors between the d8b CPU rack and console.
Removing, cleaning and reseating the edge connectors on all I/O, MFX, UFX and Clock cards in the console and the MIDI card in the CPU rack."
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JoeJoe » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:45 am

It did this now mid session for the first time. Went into pop-pop-pop mode. I unplugged the big round connector and reconnected it and it's fine again. I have cleaned it earlier with contact spray which seemed to help a bit with stability. Still often the problem arises with "warm starts", if I let it sit for a while it usually starts up fine again.
JoeJoe

Return to d8b Forum