Change font size   Print view

DIY help

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

DIY help

Postby budgierless » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi,
Just a quick question, what is the tool that I need so that I can unscrew the hard drive from its chassis base in the CPU, A link to eBay or Amazon would be beneficial, thanks
budgierless

Re: DIY help

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:57 pm

It's not a special tool. Just a ratchet with an extender and I think it's a 10mm nut, but not sure about the size from memory.

You know... the thing in the picture :)

IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 953 times
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby budgierless » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks, I’m guessing the extended ratchet would have to be hollow in order to reach the nut due to the obstruction of the length of this screw itself?
budgierless

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:41 pm

The tool in the pic is what I used repeatedly in the past, to get the nuts off of these screws, and this one isn't hollow. Well... the nut itself is, as they always are, but the adapter and extender aren't hollow.

So, if you have a standard toolset like that, just give it a try... as long as the extender is long enough to reach all the way down, I don't think the nut will be a problem.

Getting it back on there when you want to install the drive again, can be a bit of a PITA, though, because the nut always wants to fall off the bolt/screw on the bottom. Getting the drive OUT is the easy part ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:42 pm

It's easy to get the nut on the screw, just use a small artists paintbrush or something similar, push the end of the handle onto a nut so it's just half way on then place it over the screw and turn, once it's on with a few threads , get your wrench or a pointed nose pliers.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby budgierless » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Y-my-R wrote:The tool in the pic is what I used repeatedly in the past, to get the nuts off of these screws, and this one isn't hollow. Well... the nut itself is, as they always are, but the adapter and extender aren't hollow.

So, if you have a standard toolset like that, just give it a try... as long as the extender is long enough to reach all the way down, I don't think the nut will be a problem.

Getting it back on there when you want to install the drive again, can be a bit of a PITA, though, because the nut always wants to fall off the bolt/screw on the bottom. Getting the drive OUT is the easy part ;)

thanks, I will pull out my basic tool kit, and see how I get on.
budgierless

Postby Comsec14 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm

8mm
Comsec14

Return to d8b Forum