Change font size   Print view

D8b hdr setup?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8b hdr setup?

Postby Comsec14 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:19 am

Trying to hookup d8b to her 24/96. I have apogee cards connected with optical cables. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to set them up. Any advice? I've got my inputs working on the board but they are not assigned to tracks in the HDR. every once in awhile I get a blip on the HDR meters on whichever channel is armed but nothing else. Thank you guys
Attachments
20201231_181436.jpg
20201231_181436.jpg (Array MiB) Viewed 1102 times
Comsec14

Re: D8b hdr setup?

Postby Old School » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi,
They are already set up if they appear as they did in your photo. All you have to do is go to the fat channel on the D8B and assign that channel to a tape out.

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:53 pm

almost forgot, make sure the "auto input" button on the front of the HDR is selected, then just arm your track and you should be golden.
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:51 am

Hi,

Have you got any means of Word Clock synchronisation between the D8B and the HDR?

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Phil.c » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:37 pm

Have you got Route to tape on to assign?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Comsec14 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:45 pm

Thank you guys, you were correct. Fat channel!
Comsec14

Postby Mike Rivers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:58 am

You've had all day to play with it. Is it working OK? Someone asked about word clock synchronization, and I'll ask again. The occasional blip on an armed channel of the HDR with no signal coming in could be a sign that the console and recorder word clocks aren't synchronized.

Does your console have an Apogee word clock I/O card? If so, you should connect it to the word clock card on the HDR. I recommend making the HDR the word clock master (set it for Internal word clock) and setting the d8b to be the slave (external word clock). The reason for this is that the output of the HDR's word clock card has no trouble driving the word clock input on the d8b Apogee clock I/O card, but the output level of the d8b's optional sync card is marginal for driving the HDR's word clock input.

You'll need a BNC-BNC cable, preferably 75 ohm, to connect the d8b word clock output to the HDR's word clock input. Set the HDR for external word clock and the d8b for internal word clock. Make sure both are set to the same sample rate.

If your console doesn't have the clock I/O card, you can use the BNC connector on one of your DIO-8 cards as a word clock output, but there were three versions of the DIO-8 card's EPROM, only one of which provides the correct word clock signal. The others sort of work, better than nothing.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Comsec14 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:14 am

Yes sir everything is working perfectly. I have a rack mount world clock and the apogee. Once I click the fat channel button everything came together, I realized how everything worked and I'm very happy with the help I received!
Comsec14

Return to d8b Forum