Change font size   Print view

new problem

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: new problem

Postby garrett21allen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:51 pm

ok just changed the monitor. and it is showing the no signal sign. however, it is still rebooting over and over. every time it gets to where it should boot it just starts rebooting again. I also put in another CF card and that did not help. still rebooting over and over. do you think it could be something on the inside of the d8b may be a ribbon cable or something is loose on the inside. I just hate unhooking everything to get in there. thanks for any input or help.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:57 pm

sorry I meant to say it is not showing the no signal sign since I changed the monitor
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi Joe,

The problem theoretically shouldn't be inside the console, but more likely inside the rack unit. You can try disconnecting the BFC and 25-pin cable from the console to be sure. Without those connected, the rack unit should boot up nearly all the way, but say something like "DSP card not ready" when it's all the way booted. If it doesn't do that and keeps restarting then the issue is definitely with the rack unit.

When you say that you tried another CF card... does that card have the Mackie OS installed on it, too? (Just making sure). If not, and it keeps rebooting, then there's something going on with the hardware in the rack unit (possibly something about the Mud Duck system, but it could be something else, too.

What happens if you remove the CF card completely and turn the rack unit on without a CF card? Does it still reboot? Or does it stop somewhere, with an error about no boot drive, etc?
It should give such an error... if it doesn't and reboots instead, then there's something else going wrong with either the BIOS settings or the hardware.

Could you answer the 3 points above/below, please, so I'm clear on what you're looking at? So, in short:

1. Does it still reboot if the console is disconnected (both, the BFC and the 25-pin data cable)
2. Does the 2nd CF card have the MackieOS on it? (Did you boot into the MackieOS from it before?)
3. What happens when powering on with no CF card in the card slot at all? (Reboot or no boot drive error?)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:37 pm

thanks for the reply

I will be going to my building in about an hour so I will check all three things you said to check.
I can answer one of them now. yes, the 2nd CF card has the Mackie OS 5.1on it. and yes I have booted it up plenty of times I have had the CF card for a good while now. so I will check the other two things you ask about. would love to get it back up and running. one thing that puzzles me is when I swapped out the monitor the no signal went away there is a reason it shows it on one monitor but not the other one. thanks for all the help

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:55 am

sorry for the delay we had some really bad weather here in Lumberton NC for the last two days.

so I unhooked the BFC cable and the 25-pin data cable. and it still keeps on rebooting over and over.
then I took out the CF card it says disk boot failure. and the other CF card has the Mackie OS on it.
I'm getting lost now. running out of things to try. thanks for any help starting to miss my d8b real bad.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm

Sorry to hear about the bad weather! It's pretty pleasant here in California right now, but almost 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) too hot on average. We'll probably start burning again, soon...

OK, so if the rack unit still keeps rebooting when the console isn't connected, it means that the problem is in the rack unit, so we'll focus on that for troubleshooting.

Since the behavior stays the same when using a different CF card, but changes when removing it, the problem likely isn't the OS installation on the CF card, but it's likely something inside the D8B rack unit.

If so, I'd first double-check all of the BIOS settings... could be as simple as that. If any of them changed from how you had set them, you'll want to put a new battery in there (how old is the current battery?)

If that doesn't help, I'd first try reseating all the cable connections for the Mud Duck system inside of the D8B rack.

And if that doesn't help... do you still happen to have your old spinning harddrive with the Mackie OS on it for troubleshooting purposes?

If so, I'd suggest to try disconnecting the Mud Duck system, and connecting your old spinning harddrive again, to see if it still reboots with that, or if it boots up successfully. That's to rule out the non-standard component (the Mud Duck system) as the culprit.

Since the reboot loop happens at a point where the Mackie OS started booting (e.g. after the "D8B 5.1 Realtime OS" logo is displayed) if I understand this right, I'd still think that it's most likely something related to the OS drive (or CF card/CF card system). That's why I'd check this first.

If you still have trouble after that, as a SEPARATE troubleshooting step (and only if what I'm saying above fails) I'd try booting with only one memory stick instead of 2 (...or if you use the old memory on the old board and you have 4 of these smaller memory sticks in the other memory banks, remove two at a time, and leave two in there... those need to be installed/removed in pairs). If it still keeps rebooting with that memory stick (or pair), try booting with only the other memory stick (or a different pair for the "small" memory on the old board).

Anyway, that's where I'd start.

Best of luck, and keep us posted :)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 pm

Agree with Y-my-R,... booting with only one memory stick instead.
BTW: I use the Mud Duck system and have had no issues. Keep us posted
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:12 am

well I got a little good news

I unhooked the CF card and hooked everything back up to the hard drive and it did boot up and the mouse is also working. it did go all the way back to version 2 where the dog shows up. LOL don't know why it skipped version 3.
so it must be something in the CF card itself. maybe it's not in the cables on the CF card or the disk I can't remember what you call it. with all the soldering joints Iand you hook everything up to it. ts got three lights on it just like the brain bord on the d8b that you hook the cables too but I think that's what's gone bad I could be wrong.
I say that because it just keeps rebooting with both CF disk. I may need to order me another CF kit from mud duck again. thanks for all the help
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:50 am

glad you sorted this out. Like I said in my early post, I have been using Mud Duck system for the last 3 years with no issues. Also, looks like its sold out right now ?

https://reverb.com/item/1620283-mackie-d8b-cf-drive-kit
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:26 pm

thanks, Captainamerica

you are right about mud duck CF kits are not available at this time the guy that sells them on the reverb site said that you can get CF parts and OS images on the net. does anyone know where you can get parts and OS images for the CF kit? thanks

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum