Change font size   Print view

Floppy simulator problem

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Floppy simulator problem

Postby Phil.c » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:36 pm

I'm a bit confused here as the app itself formats the stick, which is what I did before and it worked?
I have another issue at the moment as my pc with the app has gone pear shape so I need to download the app to a laptop, that's if I can find it on here again!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:02 am

Phil.c wrote:I'm a bit confused here as the app itself formats the stick, which is what I did before and it worked?
I have another issue at the moment as my pc with the app has gone pear shape so I need to download the app to a laptop, that's if I can find it on here again!

You're absolutely correct, Phil... I just located the usb stick I have all the Mackie installs on and walked thru the disks from #0 to #20... the ones that were never specifically accessed for writing Mackie data essentially pulled right up. That verifies that the usb stick itself should be fine without doing anything with it, which is what you indicated initially. The remaining floppy instances pulled up with a file labeled 'floppy#' where the asterisk is the number of the partition that I assume the proggie on Windows has written. That all being said, if you can't read the boot disk or the floppy (emulator or drive), that's gonna be due to another yet unidentified piece of hardware - or possibly even software (driver, etc)... :geek:
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Ok!. I've started from scratch and done everything as per the instructions in the Database, I've formatted the stick, (no make bootable) right clicked on #01 partition, found my files, selected "All files" and opened them, I now have 89 in the usage box for partition #01 which is correct, I did this for five partitions, the files loaded are exactly the same as the instructions say they should be.

I open the Desktop in the D8B, if I click the HD icon, all my projects show, so this is working, I put the stick in the CPU, I click on the HD icon again so that I can see my project that will be dragged to the floppy, the screen freezes!!!!

I'm at a loss?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Phil.c wrote:Ok!. I've started from scratch and done everything as per the instructions in the Database, I've formatted the stick, (no make bootable) right clicked on #01 partition, found my files, selected "All files" and opened them, I now have 89 in the usage box for partition #01 which is correct, I did this for five partitions, the files loaded are exactly the same as the instructions say they should be.

I open the Desktop in the D8B, if I click the HD icon, all my projects show, so this is working, I put the stick in the CPU, I click on the HD icon again so that I can see my project that will be dragged to the floppy, the screen freezes!!!!

I'm at a loss?

Don't format it then, Phil... the floppy emulation program may be doing everything necessary. Evidently, a basic file system is put on all 100 (#0-99) by default; as I tried to explain, I only have the first 6 or so allocated on my usb stick with the Mackie 'wares and when I switch to one of the 'unallocated' partition #'s (say #12) the 'floppy' icon on the desktop displays a window with a file named 'FLPPY12' when clicked - I just did this 10 seconds ago to confirm... reinsert the USB stick and try one of the partitions way up the stack, like #50 or some high number where nothing has been touched, just the 'default' and see if that works. Should that work OK, you're entitled to one free shin kick... this is a crazy-ass little 'issue'...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:29 pm

I've just put the stick in again with nothing touched on it, clicked the HD icon and it opened to show my files, no freeze screen this time?
I selcted partition #50 which hasn't been modified, dragged a file froim the HD to the floppy icon and get a message "the floppy isn't formatted, insert a formatted disk"?

When I jiust click on the floppy icon I get the same message?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum