Change font size   Print view

the audio is gone

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

the audio is gone

Postby pino68 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Hello everybody. I haven't logged in for some time, now I need some help from you.
My D8B doesn't make any sound, it has always worked and all of a sudden the audio is gone ... it turns on normally and everything looks ok, but the audio is gone .. help.
pino68

Re: the audio is gone

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Just to cover the most basic cause: Do you have a blinking questionmark in the right upper corner of the display? (i.e. can't sync to internal or external clock / word clock).

If there's no blinking questionmark, I'd double-check the routing first and try different outputs. Which outputs did you check so far?
Do you see input meters?

Maybe try to remove/hide the startup song and see if audio comes back without it.

What did you try so far, and what did you observe (e.g. meters, if no meters, what's the audio source, did you try different outputs, etc. etc.).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 am

Hi Y-my-R, you helped me a long time ago and for that I thank you infinitely.
The problem I have you read in the post and I answer your questions.
1) there is no flashing question mark at the top right.
2) no signal in the input meters.
I use Logic x on mac which is connected to a sound card (M-Track),
the outputs of the M-Track go to the D8B in line 1-2 (everything worked until yesterday).
I have tested the sound card and it works fine.
I tried the input to the mixer with a microphone, but it does not receive the events and therefore I have no signal, the same thing also happens with the signal coming from the M-Track.
No signal comes and goes.
I tried to turn the D8B off and on but nothing done.
I also tried to clear the UFX memory but unfortunately nothing.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 am

Hi Pino68 - I remember your name, but don't remember what the trouble was. Glad it worked up to this point... hopefully we'll get it working again :)

Let's focus on there not being any signal shown on the meters, when using a Microphone that is connected directly to the D8B. That should always work, no matter what's going on with the computer you have connected (once we get a Mic working, we can move on to making sure the audio interface works again).

Just to make sure you're looking at the right thing: Is the correct layer selected? (push Mic/Line button for channels 1-24).

Is the mic connected directly to the XLR input on the channel you want to test? Is the "Mic" button pushed for that channel (channels 1-12 only!). Is the gain up? If the mic needs phantom power, is that turned on? Did you try a different Mic cable, already?

If all of that looked right, but you still don't see any signal on the input, I'd first try if the Startup session might have gotten corrupted (or accidentally changed) and messed up your routing.

To do this, I'd move the file called "Startup" out of the Session 5 folder on the Mackie harddrive, then restart the D8B. It should create a new Startup file with the default routing.
After the re-start, try again if you get signal from the Mic inputs on the D8B.
(There are more details in the database, how to make sure the D8B doesn't find another Startup song from elsewhere, like the root of the harddrive, etc. Check the "Corrupt Session Files" section in the database, here: http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html)

With the Startup file "hidden" or deleted, the Mic input level should definitely show something, if all the settings were made as mentioned above. If that's not the case, then something might have gone bad.

I'll let others chime in, but in that case, I'd probably try re-seating the BFC and 25-pin cables that go to the rack unit, first (with the D8B off).
If that doesn't help, I'd probably try to reseat the ribbon cables on the inside of the D8B next (and maybe use some Deoxit on the contacts while you're at it).

...but let's do all of this one-by-one. Again, I'd try to hide (or delete) the Startup session first, and check again if you get signal from the Mic input after rebooting the D8B.

Best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:07 am

Hi Pino68;

Sorry for your troubles.

Further to what Y-My-R has suggested, after doing that, perhaps try Mic input 9 through 12. Puts in in a different section of the audio console.

Also, try the analog tape returns and see if any audio is seen and heard through that section. Use a CD player or any other Consumer or Pro Line level player (10dbu to +4dBu).

Give it a shot. Ribbon connectors are always a pain but can be the reason as Y-My-R hsd ststed.

Hang in there, we'l all try to help you get going again.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi Pino 68,

Another possibility is that the +/-16v supplies have failed. These supplies run all the analog circuits within the console, and losing them will mean no audio anywhere. Looking at the circuit diagram it appears likely that if this power supply has failed the desk will probably boot normally as the digital circuitry is all run at 5v...however, the V-pots may not work and also the fader motors (these have a certain amount of analog circuitry that runs from the +/-16v lines).

As Bruce suggested, check the analog tape returns as these are a pure analog path, if they don't work I'd be looking at a power supply issue.
Might be something as simple as a fuse in the CPU / Power supply.

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby pino68 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for your help. Unfortunately I have tried everything you have advised me, but there is no signal.
With the microphone on channels 9-12 there is no signal and with other tests such as CDs or music coming out of iTunes nothing to do.
the fader motors all work.
Won't you have to install the whole system again?
I do not know what to do.

Sorry for my Google translation because I'm Italian and I try to understand English.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:26 am

sometimes as soon as it is turned on it remains blocked as you can see in the picture.

0-1.jpg
0-1.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1451 times

here instead the mixer blocking the microphone signal

0-4.jpg
0-4.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1451 times
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Now I have found that the HDR 24/96 remote controller is not detected by the D8B so it is not manageable by the D8B controller but only by the HDR.
HDR is connected via optical cables, the signals are not displayed on the mixer and I only see them on the HDR.
The D8B still receives no signal.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm

I'm very confused by the pictures you shared. They don't really match what you said, IMO.

You say there's no audio coming in, but the meters DO show an input signal. So, do the meters react to incoming audio signal or not?

So, if you connect a microphone to one of the inputs, does it show something on the meters for that channel?

Does it show meters for the microphone input for channels 1-8, only, or also for 9/12?

I'm NOT talking about if you can hear something. I'm talking about seeing meters. That gives a clue if audio is coming INTO the desk or not.
Troubleshooting in order to find a way that the signal will also come OUT of the desk again, is a separate step. Let's focus on making sure the signal gets IN first (... i.e. please let us know if the meters react to incoming signal).

Please also ignore the HDR right now. We need to do this one step at a time, or it will get too messy and confusing. Let's look at the HDR issue when we have signal coming IN and OUT of the D8B (starting with the IN part for now).

So, what are the LED meters that are shown in your pictures? Are they corresponding to signals you have connected to the D8B?

Also: What do you mean by "sometimes, as soon as it's turned on it remains blocked"?
Does it behave differently sometimes, from one time when you turn the D8B on to another time when you turn it on?
Does it sometimes still work, and start having problems after some time that the D8B is running?
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum