Change font size   Print view

the audio is gone

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: the audio is gone

Postby pino68 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Unfortunately after deleting the boot file from the system5 everything seemed to work, the input signals (those of the photos) occurred only once and stopped without giving me a chance to repeat.
Now it no longer receives anything, neither microphone signals nor others.
The D8B turns on regularly but does not accept any inputs.
virtually no incoming signal.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:50 pm

That makes it even more confusing, and doesn't leave anywhere to start troubleshooting.

The Startup session automatically gets created again when it's missing when starting the D8B. But it should create it with default settings that shouldn't cause problems.

After you deleted the Startup session and booted the D8B, when it worked... did you make changes and then save the startup session? If so, the changes might be what's causing the problem.

So, try to delete the Startup session again (and any other startup session you find on your system). Does that change anything?

Again, though... please be very thoughtful when describing your problems. Saying there's no input and then sharing pics that show an input is not helping me/us to help you. The description and pictures need to be accurate and help to explain what you're seeing. If there's contradictions (e.g. pictures don't match your written description), then nobody will be able to help you. Thanks.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:51 pm

Ribbon connectors!

I would go for a clean and re-seat but also when you have each connector off, run your thumbnail between the ribbon and the connector each side to lift it off the spikes as they can become tarnished, run some isopropyl alcohol, into the gap and pinch the connector back onto the ribbon with pliers.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:18 am

Phil.c wrote:Ribbon connectors!

I would go for a clean and re-seat but also when you have each connector off, run your thumbnail between the ribbon and the connector each side to lift it off the spikes as they can become tarnished, run some isopropyl alcohol, into the gap and pinch the connector back onto the ribbon with pliers.

Just in the event you find you need replacements, this link would be very useful:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=Mackie-D8B-Kit

You might find some used stuff on eBay... or not. Hopefully that link does bail someone out at some point while doing a forum keyword search. Those cables can tend to be like Hens Teeth...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:36 am

Hi Phil.c
Basically you mean I have to disassemble the D8B and clean all the connectors?
pino68

Postby pino68 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 am

Hi Y-my-R,
I tried deleting the boot session several times without this solving the problem and nothing has changed.
The photos I posted were just to make it clear (sorry my google translation) that the first time I deleted the boot session and then restarted the D8B, I tried to test via microphone and sound source, if there was a signal visual, there was but a moment and then it got stuck on that visual signal ... for this reason I put the photos.
I apologize if I caused confusion, I didn't mean to. Unfortunately, given the difference in language it becomes difficult for me to be understood.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 am

Hi Pino68,

After reading your latest post, and then re-reading the earlier post where you were talking about what's going on in the pictures, I now understand what you meant. Sorry... I interpreted what you wrote differently. It's probably really just because of Google translate... unfortunately, I don't speak any Italian (I speak German and a bit of Japanese, if that would help, though, haha).

If there really is no other copy of the Startup session (also check on the root of the harddrive... directly in C: - I think the D8B would also load that, if it finds it), then there's probably not too much you can do on the software/OS side to get it working again (short of trying a re-install... but it's not THAT likely to fix the issue, so I wouldn't go there as the next step, if you aren't comfortable with re-installing the OS on the D8B).

Before you take the console apart, I'd try to remove/reseat all the MFX and UFX cards as well as the clock card (while the desk is off). If they don't get good contact, it can also cause some strange behavior.

If that doesn't help either, then I agree with Phil that the next thing to try would be to remove the bottom cover from the D8B and clean all the connectors and plug them back in. This is a very common issue with the D8B, and I think most long-time D8B users had to do this at some point (me included).

Phil's suggestion to slightly pry apart the ribbon connector with your fingernail, put some isopropyl alcohol in the gap (I usually use Deoxit electronics cleaner, instead) and then pinch the connector back together, is also a great idea to do, while you already have the desk open.
Sometimes a bad contact may not come from the contact between the connector and the socket, but may happen within the connector on the cable itself (there's sharp metal spikes in there, that cut into the cable insulation to make contact with the wire inside... and sometimes they don't make good contact, so, moving/exercising them like Phil suggested usually restores good contact).

I know this sounds like a big overwhelming task, but it isn't actually that bad... or at least not that "technical". It's just a lot of screws on the bottom of the desk, but unplugging/cleaning and re-connecting the cables isn't difficult to do. It just takes a lot of time.

I'd start out with all the connectors you can get to easily. Then still leave the bottom lid off, and try if the D8B works again as it should. Only if it doesn't after that, then I would try to get to the ribbon cable connectors that are very hard to get to (some require additional disassembly, and not just to take the bottom lid off).

...and I'll definitely bookmark the link for the ribbon cable set you shared, @doctor1360! I didn't know this was available - awesome! (Pino68 - I'd try to re-seat/clean the cables in your desk first... buying a new set would be a last resort solution, if nothing works out with the parts you already have).

Again, best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm

As just mentioned, the connector procedure is not difficult, it's something I've done more times than I care to mention, the real answer is new cables but we seem to make do, lifting the ribbon off the spike is important with these oldies, this is something I figured out many years ago as just reseating doesn't always work. you should be able to do this in about half an hour, maybe a bit more when it's your first time.
Another thing I should mention when you've got the lid off is the power connectors, the larger white ones, check to see if they're a slack fit, if they are still slack after cleaning and reseating, on the side of the connector is a shiny strip, put the connector on something sturdy, and press something like the tip of a screwdriver down on it, you have to press hard but this tightens up the the fit.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi guys,
I did everything you recommended but nothing to do there is no signal. I also tried with a song recorded on HDR (on HDR the signals are there, but they are not recognized by the D8B).
Now I try to disassemble the mixer, as Phil advised me and then I update you.
Anyway Thanks for your great availability.

Pino
pino68

Postby pino68 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi guys,
unfortunately I disassembled the D8B, I cleaned all the connectors ... I did everything you recommended but unfortunately my mixer does not receive anything at the input ... I am exhausted, I do not know what to do anymore ...
pino68

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum